No announcement yet.

Anyone want an original 'portable' pc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone want an original 'portable' pc?

Apple Air it ain't! I remember these thing new. They were amazing for control systems production.
    FT.

Belongs in a museum
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

A friend of mine had the first portable I saw back in 1991: a Toshiba.
      It was a 386sx with a plasma screen (= bright red on black), 3 full size ISA slots , no battery, and weighed about 12 kg or so)
      (in one of the isa slots, he had a scsi controller, on which he then put a harddisk)

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

The HP-85 predated that monstrosity by 5 years (1979)

There was an optional padded carrying case for it. It came with mass storage (data tape), graphics mono screen, thermal printer etc. and was doted with 14 kb RAM. It had an HP OS which was combined with a very advanced Basic language set which was actually nearer Fortran. I used this model in scientific instruments I made and I must have bought well over 100 of the original, the HP-85A, the 85B and some HP-86s, as well. It was not until 1988 that I replaced them with the PC: the changeover caused me a lot of grief because of the lack of suitable interfaces before 1986 and the fact that co-processors were not available before the 286/287. My PC programming language was a very high-level dialect of Forth under MS-DOS which was ideal for both driving the interfaces and doing the sophisticated maths.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

hah .. that sweet little thing is from 1983 and i still have it ... around 1500 German Mark (750 Euros) at that time

and don't come with "but that's not a PC ..."
          "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

I would think this would be close to the first proper portable...eg batteries n all

osborne 1

Comment

Rakido, isn't that a C-64SX? It was quite a bit more expensive here, around 2700 marks... I think I had my first ejaculation when I saw that thing.
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I had a 5150 back in the day that I had refurbed. Some company was throwing it out.

The 5155 was little more than a pipe dream at the time!
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                If only life were as easy as you
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                  Rakido, isn't that a C-64SX? It was quite a bit more expensive here, around 2700 marks... I think I had my first ejaculation when I saw that thing.
                  yep, an SX-64 .. and i stand corrected, it was 1984. It was announced in 83 .... but it was the world's first portable color computer

-> http://oldcomputers.net/sx64.html.

I guess i should just get it out of the basement ... how were the commands?? load "retropron",8,1 ... ?? lol
                  "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Originally posted by Rakido View Post
                    hah .. that sweet little thing is from 1983 and i still have it ... around 1500 German Mark (750 Euros) at that time

and don't come with "but that's not a PC ..."
                    We have one of those too, and it still works quite well.
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Whish I had the space. I'd love playing jumpman on one of those. Would need to find a digital joystick somewhere, suzi pro or similar.
                      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Working...
                      X