Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Canon Vixia HG10 2GB File Limit Headache"

The "NEW" problem is back....

Here's the issue in a nutshell. The file system on the HDD (I am guessing) used in the HG10 imposes a 2GB file size limit. Apparently, this 2GB limit is not part of the AVCHD spec so it is NOT a problem with the format. This brickwall limit is easy to prove. Set the recording mode to HXP, place the cam on a table, press record, and walk away. After 20 minutes, press the record/stop button, plug in the power adapter and USB cable from your PC. The cam's HDD will be mapped to a logical drive (G:\ on my PC) and you can simply browse the contents of the cam's HDD, which is essentially the same structure as a blu ray disc. The video clips (stored as .mts files) are all located in the "Streams" subdirectory. They are incrementally numbered (e.g., 00000001.mts, 00000002.mts, etc.).

If you started with zero footage on the cam and shot 20 minutes of HXP footage, you will find exactly two .mts files in the Streams subdirectory. If you watch the 20-minute clip prior to connecting the cam to your PC, you will see and hear 20 minutes of seamless video/audio. If you drag and drop the two .mts files and open them in your NLE, you will notice 418 samples of audio (originally sampled in cam @ 48K) missing just prior to the splice point and exactly two dropped frames just after the splice point. Doesn't matter if you shoot 24PFor 60i.

If you transfer the 20-minute footage using the included Guide Menu app, you will have two <datetimestamp>.M2TS files. If you open those files in your NLE, you will see the exact same result.

I also converted the .mts files into a Cineform intermediate .avi file using NEO HDV to see what would happen. Interestingly, after converting two .mts files shot in 24PF (resulting in two Cineform .avi files) and opening those two files in Vegas Pro 8.0b (build 217), the two dropped frames were gone from the second file but the audio was exactly as it was in the first raw .mts and Guide Menu converted .m2ts files.

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

ARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

[multiple expletives deleted]

Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Reminds me of the days when using avi_io when editing video was the norm.
      - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

When XP rolled out, it was like a fresh breeze....

Anyway, I feel torn...

HV30 is looking pretty good again.....

Last edited by ND66; 25 January 2008, 08:02.

Comment

Okay I LOVED that video!!

Thanks!
          - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

A &quot;FIX&quot; to this problem.

I know some of us can use it. If not now, maybe later...

Hi,

I might try this myself sometime, but since you already have the files.

Have you tried from the command prompt:

copy /b 000001.mts+000002.mts joined.mts

(change the filenames as appropriate)

Maybe the files are a straight binary join. When you treat the second one individually it may just start at the next keyframe or something, thus losing samples.

Regards,
            Andreas

It appears Andreas has provided the solution to this problem. I performed a cursory review in Vegas after using the good 'ole DOS syntax and I think this problem is solved. Great job Andreas! I am running an extended test using the entire ~90-minute concert to make absolutely sure this issue can be put to rest...

Andreas' fix is golden. Once again, I DI'd 80 minutes of a live show I recorded into the HG10, placed the cam on a table, pressed record, and walked away. Five .mts files were created as the cam split the 80-minute clip according to its spec. I dragged & dropped the five files from the cam to my PC, ran the binary copy command, and waited. Took about 20 minutes total to recombine the five files into one .mts file. I then opened that file in Vegas. Next, I successively opened each of the component .mts files on the same timeline so I could easily see the "snap to" splice points. Muted the Vegas' spliced file's audio track and pressed play. The result was perfectly continuous audio at every splice point. LOL, I still can't believe how simple of a fix this turned out to be!

Comment

Working...
            X