Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

xvYCC: The Future of Color, not so bright.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xvYCC: The Future of Color, not so bright.

Why, oh why can't we stick to a single standard anywhere? It's like the Blu-Ray and HD DVD format war with TV sets I'd say...... .

The new color standard also encounters another challenge – different brands of TVs. For example, what happens when a user shoots in xvYCC color with a Sony camcorder but owns a Panasonic television set?

Sony representatives couldn’t comment on x.v.Color display on Panasonic televisions. Panasonic, on the other hand, did note that viewers would be able to notice some improvement of Digital Cinema Color on Sony televisions, when compared to non-xvYCC displays. In general, though, both Sony and Panasonic each agree that even through television sets might be new, xvYCC video works best with the same branded television display: Sony camcorders with Bravia televisions, and Panasonic camcorders with Viera TVs.

“The benefit of xv[YCC] color is the best harmonization and combination between camcorder and TV,” said Yukio Hirose, General Manager, Optical Marketing Department, Overseas Marketing Group at Panasonic.

With the growth explosion in the display market, there is a vast assortment of HDTVs from which to choose. Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, Hitachi, and Sharp each use a form of xvYCC color for displays. Cross-system incompatibility, however, will likely slow xvYCC’s popularity. It’s a stifling situation that forces consumers to purchase from a within a single manufacturer’s product lines to ensure the full benefits of xvYCC. As the technology develops and grows, it can only be hoped that an open standard is adopted or enforced.

The whole story HERE:

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
    X