New Windows in '09?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Windows in '09?

THE DARK satanic rumour mill has manufactured a great yarn that Microsoft is planning to push forward the release date of Vista's successor.

Hacks at APC magazine have got their paws on a roadmap for Windows 7 which shows that Vole wants to push forward the release from 2010 to 2009.
    (Vole = M$)

Looks like Vista will go the way of WinME.
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

I hope M$ learnt from their mistakes and takes a different approach to whatever they are going to call it. (I sure hope they don't pick a crappy name similar to Vista)

I'll wait another year, or I may simply install Windows Vista64 bit to test out software and drivers on my workstation.

Edit, on second thought...I don't think installing Vista 64, is as simple as I think it will be, crossing fingers...
    Regards,
    Elie

Comment

Installing vista 64bit was pretty easy.. I did it a year after vista rolled out, so all my hardware was supported, except my ancient agfa e20 scanner

There was also not long between windows 2000 and XP from what I remember.. that did not make windows 2000 bad
      We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Can't agree with the last paragraph as Vista was a royal pain in the butt for many more reasons than those caused by hardware drivers.

Vista successor, Windows 7 to be released next year?

* 22nd January 2008
        * James Bannan
        * Microsoft, Vista, Windows

A recently-release roadmap for the next major Window release – Windows 7 – indicates that Microsoft is planning to release the new operating system in the second half of 2009, rather than the anticipated release date of some time in 2010.

There are apparently three “milestone” builds planned for 2008, and the first one – M1 – has already shipped to key partners for code validation. M1 is for the English language build only, but is available in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Microsoft has announced that Windows 7 will most likely be the last Windows operating system available in 32-bit, and given the rapid advances Windows Vista is making in the 64-bit computing market, this seems a sensible decision.

M2 should ship around April/May, and M3 some time in the third quarter of 2008. There’s no available roadmap information about further milestone, beta or release candidate builds, except the updated RTM release date of H2 2009.

If Windows 7 is released in the second half of 2009, this will be three years after Windows Vista which went RTM in November 2006. A three-year major product cycle would take the Windows operating system out of cycle with Windows Server, which is on an approximate four-year cycle.

The big question is who in the market will respond to an early release. The transition to Windows Vista seems to have caused a lot of angst amongst users, but I think has far more to do with moving out of the Windows XP comfort zone, rather than any indication of Vista’s quality or stability. In which case, perhaps a shorter product cycle from here on in will get users and businesses thinking ahead much quicker, not to mention the hardware vendors who were the major contributors to Vista’s shaky start.
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 January 2008, 14:53.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Thanks Tjalfe, I can try as soon I get the go ahead from HP that all my internal devices are supported in Vista64. I have both the HP Xw8200 and the Xw9300.

Doc, I totally agree with you... the simpler the better!!

Comment

I'll be happy with a new version of windows.

It took me ages to get to XP, mainly due to hardware not being good enough, and I was really happy with 2K. I'd actually installed the RC's of 2000...

Vista is a no go for me tho, My dual core is faster and more responsive than my friends quad, and his bloody hard drive NEVER stops churning.....not for me.

Windows 7, here we come
            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

I wonder if they will just remake Vista, or Xp, and relabel it. I doubt they will come out with a new OS but who knows.
              Titanium is the new bling!
              (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Wheeeeeeeeee!!!!

Comment

Wasn't the next windows supposed to be this very small modular OS?
                  Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

Originally posted by knirfie View Post
                    Wasn't the next windows supposed to be this very small modular OS?

Yup hopefully it will be. Microsoft don't want another Vista Me do they.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro View Post
                      I wonder if they will just remake Vista, or Xp, and relabel it. I doubt they will come out with a new OS but who knows.
                      If they do, people will catch on very quickly and all hell will break loose, I don't think Microsoft is that stupid.

What I think they may do is borrow code from both XP and Vista, things that work and incorporate in the new OS, I hardly doubt they will develope a new OS from the ground up.

Comment

Vista SP1 out "soon"

Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                        Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Same with XP-SP3, and it makes XP beat even more of the crap out of Vista.
                          Last edited by rylan; 24 January 2008, 14:53.

Comment

Got Vista SP1 and XP SP3 installed, and Vista is still way slower, I mean there are some improvements with regards to copying files locally or over the net, but the amount of HDD activity is just plain rediculas!

Windows XP still wins hands down in performance.

Comment

the hdd activity will die down after a while, when it has indexed everything it wants to index, but mine has still not reached the activity level of XP.
                              when switching from windows 98 to XP, it too was slower.. no?
                              We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Working...
                              X