Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VSS Enterprise (SS2) rolls out tomorrow

Now we'll see how close the pics released last year are;

Find all the latest news on the environment and climate change from the Telegraph. Including daily emissions and pollution data.

Science: Richard Branson's race for space tourists

Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 22/01/2008

Page 1 of 3

Tomorrow, Richard Branson reveals his plans to conquer the final frontier. Sophie Campbell reports

When Trevor Beattie was 11 years old, in Class 2a at Moseley School of Art in Birmingham, he did a project called "The Space Race".

He's still got it: a brown-paper covered masterpiece in blue fountain pen, sprinkled with illustrations, diagrams and yellowed cuttings taken from the Daily Mirror of April 1970, as the Apollo 13 astronauts circled the earth, fighting for their lives.

Tomorrow, Beattie, a 49-year-old advertising guru famous for his campaigns for French Connection and Wonderbra, will be in New York for the unveiling of the commercial sub-orbital spacecraft SpaceShipTwo.

Owned by Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic and nearing completion in California's Mojave Desert, it should take Beattie into space within the next 18 months, at a cost of £102,000.

It might not be EasyJet, but it is a start, says Beattie: "It'll be a lot cheaper in 10 years. I think the unveiling will be a big moment. People will sit up and take notice." Physicist Stephen Hawking is also planning a trip with Galactic after enjoying a gravity-free trip last year.
    >
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 January 2008, 13:37.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Woohoo!

Here we go, here we go, here we goooo....
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Working...
    X