Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LCS TV - Sony Bravia "XBR" vs "V" series.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCS TV - Sony Bravia "XBR" vs "V" series.

Is there a lot of differnce in picture color/quality to be worth $600 more???

Did anyone see it "live" to compare side by side?

Also, how would you compare it to Sharp Aquos LCD?

Thanks, Andy.
    Last edited by ND66; 24 January 2008, 11:19.
    Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Andy,

It's funny you should ask this because I just purchased big screen TV for my Home Theater.

Here's how it went for me. And keep in mind everybody has a different opinion. You have to buy what looks best to you!

I went out to quite a few stores and looked at all of the sets. I also did some online research just so I had some idea of some of their perceived strengths and weaknesses.

Right away I (any my wife) noticed the Samsung and Sony's seems to be better than the Sharp's, Phillips, and other name brands. I'm talking about LCD only right now. The Samsung's and Sony's seemed to have better detail in shadow areas, better off-angle viewing, and better colors. Just better overall.

Next I compared the Sony XBR to the W to the V. The W and V were the same to my eyes. I believe there are only a few minor technical differences between the two like xv colorspace being supported by the W. I wasn't viewing an xv source so I can't comment on that.

The difference between the XBR4 and the W/V was significant in my opinion. The 120Hz screen was showing significantly less stuttering during pans. The picture was somehow smoother and less "LCD-like" on the XBR4 vs the W/V. Shadow detail better. Just overall more pleasing. And I reset both sets to default to try and level the playing field. In addition with SD material it was no contest with the XBR doing a much better job.

The Sammy 4665 and 4071 were also both very nice but the 4065 didn't have the 120Hz screen so it was out and they both have the glossy screen which I don't like.

So far it was the XBR4 for me on top.

Next I checked out the plasmas. I liked the 750U Panasonic and of course the Pioneer Elite Kuro models which were upwards of $5k which I wasn't prepared to spend.

So for the money it came down to a 720p Pioneer plasma or the Sony 1080p XBR4 LCD.

In favor of the LCD was
    Much lower energy usage, 100W compared to 300W after both sets are calibrated.
    No possibility of screen burn in with the LCD, especially important with using computer
    1920x1080 resolution with the computer is much nicer than 720p.

In the end I went with the Sony 52XBR4 and couldn't be happier. I using a HTPC I built to drive it and the picture is really incredible. Browsing the web is really neat. The text is perfectly clear and I can read it from 8 or 9 feet away with no problem. I'm doing DVD/HD-DVD/BR and streaming media from the HTPC and the quality of the picture is simply fantastic. Even SD DVDs look really good. Of course HD-DVDs and BRs are outstanding.

I ended up buying the 52XBR4 from Amazon for $3199 with free shipping and "white glove" delivery service. Which was quite good. Two guys delivered and carried it to where I needed it and helped me set it up. They were very nice and waited around until I checked it out fully. Then I let them go. It was a great purchase experience.

You also get 30 day price protection on Amazon and since I used a World Mastercard the factory 12 month warranty automatically gets extended to 24 months.

Hope this helps.
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Forgot to add that my brother got the W and there is a pretty big difference in quality we are still noticing. Actually more than what we noticed in the store. I think he's having a little buyer's regret but won't admit it to me.
      - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Thanks, Mark.

If there's ever a chance, I'll buy you a few cold ones..... .

I know that everybody has a different opinion, but yours will serve me just fine.

I wanted to “get by” not purchasing a true DSLR camera (still remember how much I did spend on my old 35mm SLR camera, lenses, etc. that’s worth almost nothing today) and getting a bridge camera (Fuji S6000fd). Have it for sale now…..
        While it performed way better then any P&S camera out there, it was still below my expectations coming from SLR experience.

Anyway, that’s a good price you got it for.

Thanks, again. You saved me the foot work. I owe you one.

Andy.

Comment

I'm glad I could help. From what I'm reading there is a sale on the 50" Pioneer 720p model for $1999. I think it was Best Buy? If you don't need the 1080p for computer reasons that could be a good choice too.
          - Mark

Comment

Need that 1080p.

That's OK, 46" will do for me at this point. Need to get ine of the new camcorders comming out soon too.....

Comment

Working...
            X