Chioces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chioces

Hello I have a dell up and running now with a Sblive Platinum, G400 Max. I am probably going to purchase a Kryotech SuperG ( 1GHz Athlon) I was wondering if any of you think this is a god or bad idea. I would be transfering all of the componets form my dell into the bare bones superG. Will I be able to keep my current configuration and files on this hard drive just transfer the HD to the Kryotech system? Or do I have to re formatt. I am hoping I will be able just to swap everythign over to the new system without soind the formatt or I will lose allot of things. Thanks for any and all imput.
    --Pappy
    rampoaks@bellsouth.net

If I was a betting man, I'd bet that the HD move won't work. I partitioned and formatted a Maxtor 7200 rpm 10 GB IDE drive in a Dell XPS-R450 and then transferred it to an ABIT BX6-2 computer. Didn't work. The ABIT board couldn't even figure out the correct HD configuration for the BIOS.

The good news is - my experience is not with your system, so in your case, it might work.

Comment

Pappy, concidering the cost of that (gulp) vs a straight OC one. I'd go for the straight OC'd one. If I can consistantly get Athlon 500's to 800 with regular (good) cooling, it makes you wonder what would happen if I used a 700 megger.

------------------
      Designer of the first Athlon mod. Currently marketing the "Eclipse" mod through AZZO Computers.
      Anyone up for an Eclipse'd Athlon 800? Email me for more information

2614 mips, 1.024 gflops @ 800 mHz 1:3 latency
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

My parent's don't loke that oc'ing thing.. You can get a warranty with the Kryotech.... that is the biggest plus...
        rampoaks@bellsouth.net

Comment

Well, if your parents like spending a fortune in PC hardware that will be obsolete in 1.5-2 years (and worthing maybe 1/10 of the initial value) more, than go for it.

Don´t take me wrong, people do whatever they want with their money, but I think noone should ever buy the latest hottest fastest piece of hardware. It´s incredibly overpriced, and you can have like 20% less performance for 100% less cost... not to mention that maybe 2 months later the price drops and lets you wondering...

Comment

Or how they'll feel when in 6 month's they could have two for the price of that one! Don't get me wrong warranties are important but, in 15+ years of OC'ing I haven't fried a single cpu either.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

I am with Nuno. The best buy for the money right now is a 450-500 MHz cpu from a company like Dell or Gateway. If you will upgrade it piecewise and feel comfortable with upgrades, a stable mother board and bits and pieces from reputable manufacturers are your best bet from a reliability standpoint. I would still go with the above cpus.

Comment

Not to mention that the Kryo 1Ghz Athlon has a 1/3 divider for the L2 cache...

IMHO, the best bang for the buck would be a PIII 450@600. The most recent BX mobo´s (well, not that recent, the Abit BH6 had it) have 1/4 PCI divisor, so that 133 fsb shouldn´t be a problem... not to mention that the G400 is rather famous for most of the times being able to handle the AGP bus at 89 Mhz...

I have a celery 300A smoking at 450 2.2v(oooooh) for more than 1 year... it hasn´t fried yet And when I buy another CPU, it will be with overclocking in mind...

BTW, Greebe, how´s that Athlon going? Thanks to our beloved Intel, I guess I must change my old BX6 if I want to go cu-mine, so the K7 is looking better and better every day... (and now that VIA is about to release the KX133!)

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 22 November 1999).]

Comment

Nuno, the Athlon will be the successor to Intel cpu's for sometime. As the MB world improves and actually releases the products, I will be testing them. So far my fav pick is still the MSI MS-6167 IR1 mb. Others tested are the Asus K7M and the FIC (ick) SD-!!. I haven't tested PC133 mem as of yet because of stories of the "tornado of smoke" that can eminate from them.

My cpu @800 is set for 1:3 also. If set 1:2 it wouldn't make it past 700! (will boot into win98 @850 and run a couple before bellying up)

Comment

I´m tempted

Yes, FIC is crap, and not only with K7 boards...

I´ll wait for the next K7 chipset gen (KX133?), the current situation remembers me of the PII and the FX chipset...

But what bugs me more about the Athlon is is that it´s not easy to overclock them... That multiplier locking, if you ask me, sucks. When Intel started locking its processors everybody cryied out loud. AMD did the same and nobody says much...
                    Of course, there are cool people like you that find a way to change the multiplier (nice job, BTW) but soldering iron is not my strong point... Maybe that overclocking devices become widely available, but I live in Portugal and that stuff takes ages to come here.

My hope is that the next mobo´s will be more tolerant with FSB overcloking, but it may be an inherant problem from that touchy EV6 bus.

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 22 November 1999).]

Comment

wait he wantsa a warnty and speed can you say step ??????????? lifetime warnty?

what ever you do don't get a sd11 board.
                      msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
                      it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Working...
                      X