Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloverfield

Great concept....

Excellent acting (extra points to Mike Vogel)

FANTASTIC monster!!

TOTALLY RUINED by the massive over-use of "jitter-cam".

A ***1/2 star movie made into a *1/2

Before people even got out of their seats at the end they were complaining of headaches and nausea, essentially MOTION SICKNESS. These complaints extended into the lobby and bathrooms with both men and women saying they were too upset to even go to dinner after the show. Several said no way would they recommend it for that reason.

The producers/director need to understand that modern camcorders ALL have anti-jitter features that smooth out camera motion to a smooth slide instead of a shaky jitter.

It's also one thing to see jitter-cam on a small screen which takes up maybe 10%-20% of your field of view, but it's entirely something else to have it fill up 90% in a darkened room. That is enough to bring on a previously dormant seizure disorder.

Even I got slightly nauseated and I raced cars, love roller coasters and have a history of parachuting off buildings
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 January 2008, 19:41.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

There is way to much use of jitter-cam in movies lately. Even the Bourne Ultimatum had too much of it and it really detracted from the movie.

Comment

Does this even looks like a movie?????

Secret Video from Cloverfield

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Take a camcorder, start it recording then hang it from your wrist by the strap. Now run around the block. Most of what you'll get is from the shoulders down jitter and shots of the ground. That's at least 1/4 of Cloverfield. Even when the cam is at eye level it's flipped left, right, up and down so quickly it makes you seasick.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by rylan View Post
          Even the Bourne Ultimatum had too much of it and it really detracted from the movie.
          The movie detracted from itself. I enjoyed the first 2 Bourne films, but the Ultimatum was the Ultimate in zero-enjoyment.

For sale: one PAL DVD of the Bourne Ultimatum, played once!
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Watched the bourne ultimatum a couple of nights ago, and have to admit I was starting to think there was a problem with my codecs since the bloody screen would not calm down.

I REALLY REALLY HATE it when they ADD jerkiness to the images to make it look 'amateurish'. BOLLOX.

It just becomes really hard to concentrate on the film, its as if they are trying to hide some crappy special effects (even tho they are fine...)

If this is worse, then, well, WHY ?

Maybe the director could answer ?
            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Been reading about Cloverfield on the web, and it seems that a lot of people didn't enjoy the constant camera movement either...
              PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
              Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
              +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
                The movie detracted from itself. I enjoyed the first 2 Bourne films, but the Ultimatum was the Ultimate in zero-enjoyment.

For sale: one PAL DVD of the Bourne Ultimatum, played once!
                Supremacy was like that too.
                Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Originally posted by Evildead666 View Post
                  I REALLY REALLY HATE it when they ADD jerkiness to the images to make it look 'amateurish'. BOLLOX.
                  Especially since "amateur" news footage isnt jerky at all!

Usually they play to much with the zoom and the quality is atrocious (grainy as hell, severe color bleeding, loss of color, static noise etc etc)

Even when they are evidently running as hell the footage usually ends up smooth.
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

The argument is that the jitter-cam adds "urgency" or "immediacy" to the film, or "simulates real life". The problem is that your brain is the ultimate anti-jitter filter. Walk down a long hall, with your eyes focused on something at the end. Does that thing jump around like Pee-Wee Herman on a triple-espresso? No. It stays still. Now, do the same exercise but let your eyes defocus. See how much it moves around? Your brain is correcting all of that on the fly?

Now, ADDING that jitter back in after the fact just confuses your brain and makes you ill.
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm View Post
                      The argument is that the jitter-cam adds "urgency" or "immediacy" to the film, or "simulates real life". The problem is that your brain is the ultimate anti-jitter filter. Walk down a long hall, with your eyes focused on something at the end. Does that thing jump around like Pee-Wee Herman on a triple-espresso? No. It stays still. Now, do the same exercise but let your eyes defocus. See how much it moves around? Your brain is correcting all of that on the fly?

Now, ADDING that jitter back in after the fact just confuses your brain and makes you ill.

The jittery camera ruined most of the Bourne movies for me. Great movies all around, but the jittery camera kept them from being spactacular.

That said, if Cloverfield is as jittery as everyone says I'm going to skip it. That crap drives me nuts.
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Serenity had some of that but Whedon did not beat the viewers over the head with it. Everything in moderation. :shudders: It reminds me of bullet time.

Comment

At least bullet time was in slow motion
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Oh well, theres an excellent "anti jitter" filter in Virtualdub
                            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Would have been better if he'd rented a few StediCams
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X