Ultra HD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultra HD!

Those wacky Japanese just can't let the US outdo them when it comes to gadgets:

1080p and QuadHD / 4K can take a step back, the Japanese government has announced plans to bring Super Hi-Vision (a.k.a. Ultra High Definition) to life as a broadcast standard by 2015. With its 33 megapixel (7,680 x 4,320) resolution and 22.2 channel surround sound, challenges so far have included building a camera that can record it, and equipment to transfer the 24Gbps uncompressed stream. Fortunately, some forward thinker in Japan's Internal Affairs and Communications Ministry -- that we are strongly considering as a write in candidate for the presidential elections -- is beginning a joint project with private companies to make this happen, beginning with a research investment of about $2.7 million this year alone. If you're still confused as to how much more res this is than anything you currently own, check out the handy chart after the break.

the Japanese government has announced plans to bring Super Hi-Vision (a.k.a. Ultra High Definition) to life as a broadcast standard by 2015. With its 33 megapixel (7,680 x 4,320) resolution and 22.2 channel surround sound, challenges so far have included building a camera that can record it, and equipment to transfer the 24Gbps uncompressed stream.

1080p, by the way, is that tiny blue-green-teal box in the upper left corner. Yikes!
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

eeeks, we haven't even began to promote 2K or even 4K res to the public and ask them to buy new TV to support it.
    Let me tell you, at NAB I have experienced 4K resolution, a company had a TV on display that supports 4096x2160 and they were playing some footage shot by a 4K camera, my jaw dropped when I was able to see a single thread of a spiders web shining in the sunlight as well as the actual texture is great detail of a rocks surface.

Enter UntraHD, I don't know what to say other then TV's will cost in the five digits!

Comment

Eventually we will be able to go back to analog
      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Sounds pretty dumb to me. Either a fake story, or somebody is on crack thinking that they can mass produce displays for a reasonable cost with that high resolution in only 7 years.

Comment

Originally posted by rylan View Post
          Sounds pretty dumb to me. Either a fake story, or somebody is on crack thinking that they can mass produce displays for a reasonable cost with that high resolution in only 7 years.

Real story. Saw it in several places. If technologies like OLED are cheap by then it would be easy to do, though the screen would be fairly large.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

With the upcoming printable display techs UltraHD's manufacturing process won't be more complicated than dialing in 4800 dpi vs 300 dpi on commercial printers.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
            X