Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ongoing Job Saga

Well Folks,

I didn't get the University job, so I've been interviewing around. My contract with them got extended through January 25, so that keeps me away from my evil bosses for two more weeks at least.

I have had a number of interviews, and two offers thus far - both of which I turned down.

The first offer was for another managed services company. It was good salary, broken down into base + 6 month + 12 month. A sticking around bonus, if you will. That should have been a warning flag. The problem? 1 weekend a month, and lousy benefits. Pretty much it'd be what I do now, for a company much the same as what I work for now, only with more money.

The second was for a company that makes high end blade server rack virtualization systems. Very cool stuff, but the company is VERY high pressure, VERY pushy. Before I even got the offer the HR people were being pushy, and then the offer expired 48 hours - not from the time I got it but from the time they WROTE it. So I got it Thursday night and it expired at 9AM Friday. I let that go, even though they offered me a high salary and the benefits were decent... for several reasons:

1. I don't want to work helpdesk. Even if it's helpdesk for a ridiculously-complex product that is amazing, it's still helpdesk! I'd still be logging tickets, punching a clock, and dealing with customers. I want to get away from that.

2. Pushy company, high pressure. Not the kind of place that's going to look kindly on "it's a snow day, foot of snow in the driveway, kids out of school, not coming in" or "school called, Logan is sick, gotta go get him". Definitely not gonna be home for dinner.

3. Travel involved. Sudden travel. Like "oops, there's a problem, we need you on a plane tomorrow!" travel. Not good with our situation right now.

So... I'm onto another round of interviews. A hospital up here has taken me to its final 3 candidates for a senior sysadmin position. A little less money (10% less, more than likely) but VERY nice benefits including pension plan and investment and great healthcare and childcare benefits. Plus a nice relaxed family-friendly environment. If they offer, I'll take it.

Anyway, thought I'd keep you all posted, things continue to be crazy!
    Last edited by Gurm; 13 January 2008, 19:13.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Good luck then
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Nice of you to share!!
      Good luck

Comment

I really hope you get the job you want.
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

What the busty type above me said.
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I'm with you 100% Jason. I've been there doing the 8am to 6pm, jumping on a plane with no notice. It can be very rewarding but it's not for a family man. University type work is perfect for that. Good luck with the Hospital

PS You'll never get rich working at a Uni, but there is plenty of scope for other earning avenues if you want to take them,
            FT.

Comment

Good luck with the hospital offer!
              "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
                I'm with you 100% Jason. I've been there doing the 8am to 6pm, jumping on a plane with no notice. It can be very rewarding but it's not for a family man. University type work is perfect for that. Good luck with the Hospital

PS You'll never get rich working at a Uni, but there is plenty of scope for other earning avenues if you want to take them,

Yes. The company I turned down - I kept asking myself if I was crazy doing so. The base pay was high, and the potential for bonuses was also good. Additionally, if I had really run with it, it had the potential to go up by as much as 40% by the end of the first year.

But the truth is, that's just NOT compatible with being a family man, as you say. I'm not 20 or 25 anymore. I can't just take off and leave my wife and kids alone, and I can't put in the huge amount of extra hours to really get ahead in a position like that. Trying to do so and still be a good husband/father would be a recipe for quick burnout.
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                X