No announcement yet.

Help buying on line..an easy question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help buying on line..an easy question.

In Spain hardware is much more expensive
    than in USA. So I intend to upgrade my system
    buying on line.
    I have to pay Spanish tax (16%) on import so american company will deduct USA sales tax
    from the price.
    The question is ¿how much is the USA sales tax?.

thanks in advance

[This message has been edited by VISADE (edited 20 November 1999).]

There are usually no sales taxes on internet sales in the U.S. Some of the bigger companies that have real stores in buildings (Department stores, and even Gateway) in your state must collect sales taxes on internet sales, but if the company doesn't have a store in your state, there are no sales taxes on internet sales. (Sorry for the long explanation, but taxes are never simple.)

Taxes vary by state here. Some are as low as 4% sales taxes and some are as high as 12% (I'm guessing). Here in Georgia, it even varies by county and city, but it is about average at 6% to 8%.

The drawback to internet sales is that the sales tax if you buy something locally is usually lower than the shipping cost by UPS which typically run 10% to 15% depending on weight. So, if you have to pay tax and shipping, sometimes its just as cheap to buy locally.

RAB
    AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Rab is correct. The US does not have a *national* sales tax. Sales taxes in the US are levied by local governments. You would not be responsible for paying sales tax online, over the phone, or through mail order, as long as you conduct the purchase outside of the vendor's state.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Working...
      X