100Hz / 120Hz Flat panel TV's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100Hz / 120Hz Flat panel TV's

Can you actually feed them with 100 / 120Hz signals or is it a marketing gimmick?

Because I didnt think a HDMI cable had the bandwidth.

The signal is not actually 100/120 Hz. It is the standard 50 Hz (PAL/whatever else Europe uses) or 60 Hz (NTSC/ATSC) that is doubled. They basically take a composite of the two frames and make a differential to double the number of frames, or something like that, so HDMI is still only transfering the standard signal.

I think dZeus has a 100 Hz TV and from what I remember he thought the motion looked a lot smoother, which is what the doubling is primarily designed for.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

yeah 100Hz CRT TVs in europe will digitize and time-interpolate the television signal to generate extra information to fill the 50 added refreshes. Because the first 100Hz TVs didn't have a fast enough processor to do the interpolation, they often looked like crap on fast movements. My set was one of the last generation CRTs sold and even it suffers from some weird artifacts (especially when many objects move in different directions).

I think WinDVD has a similar algorythm called 'Trimension' licensed from Philips (maybe they pioneered the interpolation stuff for TV?).

But if TFTs with 100/120 Hz do the same? No idea...

Comment

A lot of the new generation HDTVs have 120 Hz modes for smooth motion. Mainly DLP, but also the higher end LCDs and Plasmas. DLP plans on a 240 Hz set in 2008/2009.

Comment

So I cannot plug my PC into a LCD/plasma tv and play doom 3 at 120 fps.

Comment

I think you can but that every other frame will not be what the vid-card has generated.
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

doom 3 is capped at 60hz , so your good to go

Comment

I saw several of these LCD TVs and Plasmas at CES. It accepts the standard 50/60Hz input and composits two frames to insert an additional to improve response time to make it look smoother... essentially the tv is updating to an intermeiate point inbetween the normal data stream. It really really helps LCD look better, especially with fast motion like sports which is where LCDs have traditionally sucked. Plasma is already pretty fast for updating, so the improvement with the 120Hz refresh isn't as much.

Comment

There are some "gaming" LCDs from Sharp that are designed for gaming. Beyond that there isn't much else.

Comment

I have a 100Hz Philips TV with motion compensation.

You can only input 50 or 60 Hz (or 24). Intermediate frames are calculated based on vector information of previous frames. There are also TV's which just double frames to improve sharpness.

The effect of motion compensation is visible, judder is quite effectively removed, though there are some artifacts visible. First there is a "halo" effect, which sometimes causes some distortion around fast moving objects (a halo) on a static or near-static backgrounds. The second artifact is that sometimes static backgrounds seem even more static, like they were pasted in at a later time, which creates this 80's soap effect.

I only turn on 100Hz and motion compensation for 24Hz movies.
                    Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

I've been eyeing the Samsung LN-T4071F 40" LCD TV and it's just sick to watch @ 120Hz.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Define sick.
                        FT.

Comment

I've fancy a sony KDL-40D3000, although would settle for the 32. the 100Hz smoothmotion looks very nice...
                          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
                            Define sick.

The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I knew that, but this is murc and that is the venerable Greebe, whom I thought would be above such crap.
                              FT.

Comment

Working...
                              X