• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know its time...

To change the hdd when:

The customer said that it had progressively become slower

And yes, it was a laptop harddrive
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

That's impressive. I can't wait for SDDs to get cheaper. Laptop hard drives are mostly crap.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

scary!
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Did you change the cables ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
          That's impressive. I can't wait for SDDs to get cheaper. Laptop hard drives are mostly crap.
          I'd like SDDs to get faster first.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by degrub View Post
            Did you change the cables ?
            In the laptop?
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat View Post
              I'd like SDDs to get faster first.
              what is your opinion on MTron's current products?

Comment

I want them faster, bigger (capacity), smaller (size) and cheaper. So what's new?
                Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

The only "reviews" I've seen are heavily biased to make the MTrons look good. Their reading is spectacular, no doubt. But almost nothing shows their write performance. Everybody knows it's slower, but nobody's publishing just how much. The anecdotes I've heard are "I put one in my laptop. I like that it's doubled or tripled my battery life, but things run slower. Document editing takes longer (it apparently saves a lot). And if I'm doing something where I end up paging out, forget it. If I don't have to worry about battery life often, then I'm staying with regular HDs."

For an extra $1000 dollars, I can think of plenty to improve system performance.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

How could an SSD double battery life? Even a Travelstar 7k200 draws only 1.1 W idling and 3.0 W seeking. That's about a tenth of the power draw of even small laptops, especially considering that every drive will be idle most all of the time. Also keep in mind that SATA interface chips in hard drives (both rotating platter and SSD) draw almost half a Watt, so the advantage of the SSDs can't be that great even in theory.
                    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                    X