No announcement yet.

New Alienware curved screen... drool :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Alienware curved screen... drool :)

Don't get all frothed up quite yet because it's still only a prototype, but this sweet doublewide curved DLP display with LED illumination from Alienware will reportedly be available in the second half of '08. The curvature of the 2880 x 900 rez screen mimics peripheral vision, and in action the performance seemed pretty flawless to our Crysis-dazzled eyes (official specs report less than .02-millisecond response time). We did notice three faint vertical dividing lines that appeared to indicate four sub-panels making up this screen, but we may be willing to suspend disbelief in exchange for the potential of indulgent wrap-around immersion. There's not even an inkling of an MSRP on this thing yet, but you know we're gonna be keeping our eyes on this sucker for ya. Pics below and don't miss our video footage.%Gallery-12824%

no hint of a price, but when this becomes affordable, I want one
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

I know of some flight sim freaks that kill for a few of these
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I've heard mixed reports on this. One said it was DLP based, the other OLED based. From the look of it I would say DLP based, as OLED would still be too cost prohibitive (especially at that size and rez), and the monitor itself is pretty fat.

For those wondering why DLP, TI has announced a new gen of DLP chip that operate at up to 240 Hz, and new light technologies that provide greater brightness and contrast ratios (one up to 500,000:1). It will be an interesting and gawd aweful expensive monitor no matter what tech is used though.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Some video:

The Sighting: We can't have one of these Alienware curved monitors until the second half of this year, but until then, we've been abducted by its four nearly seamless and sharp screens of DLP goodness. Lit by LEDs, this 2880x900 monster is well over three feet wide and is said to have an other-worldly .02ms response…
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

looking at the pictures, it does look DLP based.. probably a lot easier to bend such a screen, compared to bending an OLED display
          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

There is something wrong with the image, closer to the edge, the image starts to stretch. Unlike a three monitor setup, from what I understand there is only one projector so the edges will be stretched or skewed.

Interesting concept though.

Comment

Give me an LCD like that and I'd be very happy.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

on TV they show some new tech from CES, Sony had the first OLED, I think it looked like a 14 or 15 inch which is selling for $2,500 but looked awesome and almost as thin as an access card.

WOW!

Comment

wow, I would take it!!
                  "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

this is about as "curved" as an octagon. looks like four 15in panels racked together on their sides.

edit:
                    this could probably run on single card vs this 50" monster that needs 3x(16x12) outputs

This website is for sale! seamlessdisplay.com is your first and best source for information about seamlessdisplay. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Screen 50"diagonal
                    Resolution 4800-1200
                    Pitch 0.255 mm
                    Pixels 5.76 million
                    Colors 16.7 million
                    Contrast 500:1
                    Brightness 350 cd/m sq
                    Response 16 ms
                    Ratio 4:1
                    Dimensions 47-21-12"
                    Weight 38 kg / 85 lbs.
                    Last edited by lowlifecat; 7 January 2008, 22:50.
                    /meow
                    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
                    Asus Striker ][
                    8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
                    Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

The Sony XEL-1 OLED is 11 inches (3 mm deep). They spec it at 1,000,000:1 CR. Available 1/08 at $2500.
                      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Its not OLED... the only ones with OLED were the Sony display as mentioned, and the Samsung 31" OLED tv/monitor that was being showcased in their booth. They had it roped off with booth-babes guarding it so nobody would touch.

Comment

Originally posted by rylan View Post
                          Its not OLED... the only ones with OLED were the Sony display as mentioned, and the Samsung 31" OLED tv/monitor that was being showcased in their booth. They had it roped off with booth-babes guarding it so nobody would touch.

Smart plan. Surround it by booth babes so all the geeks will be too busy oogling breastestess instead of trying to get to the OLED display.

So waht are all the future TV techs? OLED, dynamic LED backlighting LCD, SED, nanotubes...did I miss anything?
                          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                          X