Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hybrid SLI

I am actually very impressed with this idea:

Basically, every new (the 7xxa line at least) nvidia chipset based motherboard will come with integrated graphics. The IGP will be powerful enough to handle Aero, I assume, with very low power consumption. This is called the mGPU. While you are not gaming or doing any discrete graphics this is the only GPU being powered.

Sitting idle and unpowered in your x16 PCIe 2.0 slots will be you dGPUs (discrete GPUs) for gaming. Fire up a D3D or OpenGL game are you gaming card(s) fire up to work with your mGPU to play the game.

The benefit is obvious...power consumption. nvidia claims that this setup can save up to 400 W of power consumption (for high end 3-ways no doubt) at idle alone. They had talked about this a long time ago for notebooks, but it's nice to see this come to the desktop platform as well. This technology will make gaming laptops have an actual battery life since the dGPU(s) inside can be turned off (assuming they will release a notebook platform).

This makes me want to buy one just for the power saving alone with I upgrade later this year. Nice work, nvidia.
    Last edited by Jammrock; 7 January 2008, 09:51.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

i think 2008 will be the year i get my first nvidia card since the ATI 8500 came out.
    /meow
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Asus Striker ][
    8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
    Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

It is for me. My 8800GT should be here tomorrow. Previous cards were an X800XL, ATI 9800, GF3/Ti, Parhelia...
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Fortunately I am not upgrading until fall 08. By then there will be mid-level Hybrid SLI board and GPUs out and the tech mature. That and AMD will hopefully have Phenom volumes up so I can get a quad core, but not necessarily AMD, on the cheap.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
        X