X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung At CES: 1080/30p Camcorder SC-HMX20C

I've never been a big fan of Samsung camcorders, but it seems
    they're introducing a 1080/30p camcorder at CES:

The skinny: Samsung has figured out how to record 1080p onto flash memory with this SC-HMX20C camcorder. The 10.9-ounce shooter has 8GB of internal flash memory, and can output its sweet 30 frame-per-second video via USB or HDMI. And hey, it has a with its 2.7-inch touchscreen. The catch: We have no idea about…

Kind of interesting.

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Wow looks very impressive.

Questions:

1. Size of the sensor
    2. Recording format (I'm sure it's AVCHD but I didn't see it specified)
    3. Bitrate

Things are moving quickly in the consumer HD market.

First Sony gets out some decent AVCHD camcorders
    Then Canon lets loose the HG10
    Then Sanyo put a decent small form factor camcorder out there with the HD1000
    Now Samsung a with a sensor that can do 1080p with bursts of 300fps. That is one fast sensor and related electronics. Obviously it has a buffer large enough to hold enough data for the burst.

Things are getting interesting in the video world.
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

These new models just happen to be somewhat improved -- in some respects but not in all respects -- over the first generation model I own.

But what I thought was THE MOST SIGNIFICANT fact regarding the new Sony camcorder announcements was the fact that ONLY ONE (1) NEW HDV MODEL was introduced.

Just one!

Pretty much validates what I've been saying all along about the HDV format already dying out.

Frankly, I'd rather have a first-generation AVCHD camcorder than a more mature HDV camcorder.

Jerry Jones

Originally posted by Hulk View Post
      First Sony gets out some decent AVCHD camcorders.
      Last edited by Jerry Jones; 7 January 2008, 08:38.

Comment

Apparently, according to CamcorderInfo.com, this interesting new Samsung camcorder can also do 1080/60p!!

...and according to Engadget.com...

...there's a WiFi-enabled model that allows for streaming of the HD video to a
        high definition TV:

Samsung rolled out a crazy amount of new gear today, we know trying to sort it all out is a little overwhelming -- so hit the break and let Mahalo Daily's Veronica Belmont help you through it. On top of that, we've got exclusive video from inside the Sammy press even where they demoed the SC-HMXC10 WiFi HD video camera -- sure, it took a couple reboots, but it did eventially manage to stream to a WiFi-enabled HDTV. Note the polite applause when the presenter says "no wires" -- maybe this would have gone over better if they'd picked a more interesting subject than the suckers waiting outside the hall. Check the full vids after the break!

Now that validates the other thing I've been saying all along.

Hard disks, flash memory, and wireless high definition video streaming.

This is why the high definition DVD formats are as dead as DISC-o.

Jerry Jones

Comment

Sony's new AVCHD mini DVD camcorder models:

Jerry Jones

Comment

Note how both new Sony AVCHD models feature 1920 x 1080 recording capability -- compared to my Sony HDR-UX1's 1440 x 1080 capability -- but these new Sony models lack the manual controls of my Sony HDR-UX1 and they also lack microphone inputs and headphone jacks.

Improved in some respects, but far worse in other respects.

Not good.

I'm happy to have my Sony HDR-UX1 at the sale price I paid.

It was a great deal.

Jerry Jones

Comment

I agree with you. I have been looking at HD Cams over Xmas and there seems a general dumbing down of the consumer units. Most likely as a cost cutting thing..
              paulw

Comment

If the Samsung model is using the Ambarella chip mentioned in this news release...

...then it really can do 1080/60p.

Isn't Ambarella supplying Samsung?

I think so.

Jerry Jones

Comment

I'm very skeptical about a Korean based camcorder, the feature set may be extensive however quality and workmanship remains questionable for a camcorder.

Even there cellphones are flakey at best.

Before anything Chinese or Korean based, I would strongly recommend the Canon HV20 which sells for $670 at B&H, it supports 24P 1080 and it's getting awesome reviews.

The Mini Canon With so many HD camcorders hitting the market, it may seem to be an overwhelming decision to narrow your choice down to one. Thankfully,

Comment

Most of us are.

I bought a Samsung MiniDV camcorder and had to send it back; it was a joke.

The quality was worse than what one would have gotten with a cheap Aiptek.

The CMOS sensor in this Samsung 1080p camcorder is quite small, too.

Not sure how good it is.

Should be interesting, however.

Jerry Jones

Originally posted by Elie View Post
                    I'm very skeptical about a Korean based camcorder

Comment

I suspected it might be too good to be true.

Here's the catch:

"Though the captured video is progressive, the camcorder is only capable of exporting interlaced video.

In other words, 1080i.

Jerry Jones

Comment

Too bad the HV20 is tape-based.

I prefer the flash memory.

The newest Canons -- announced yesterday -- should be just as good as the HV20 in terms of image quality, but better in terms of the ease of use associated with flash memory.

Jerry Jones

Originally posted by Elie View Post
                        I would strongly recommend the Canon HV20

Comment

Canon high definition flash memory camcorder introduced yesterday:

We knew they were coming, now Canon's VIXIA family of HD camcorders is official. All the new VIXIA cams feature a Genuine Canon HD Video Lens, HD CMOS image sensor for Full HD 1920 x 1080 image capture, DIGIC DV II Impage Processor, Instant AutoFocus, and SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization. The HF10 (pictured above) main claim to fame is Dual Flash Memory -- it records to both 16GB of internal flash and removables SDHC cards. It features a 12x HD Video Lens, 3.3 Megapixel Full HD CMOS Image Sensor, 2.7-inch LCD, microphone terminal, 24p Cinema Mode, and 30p Progressive Mode once limited to pro-level camcorders for fast action events sporting events and the like. The HF100 model is pretty much the HF10 without the on-board flash. The HF10 dual flash and HF100 flash models should rollout in April for $1,099 and $899, respectively. A $999 HV30 model brings all the VIXIA goodness to MiniDV cassettes.%Gallery-12898%

Jerry Jones

Comment

Thanks Jerry, looks like a good camera!

Cheers!

Comment

The Sony camera looks pretty good except for those 1/5" sensors. From the quote regarding 11 minutes of video from 1.4 GB that would seem to imply an average bit rate just shy of 17Mpbs. Which would (hopefully) mean bitrate spikes of 20Mbps or more.
                              - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Working...
                              X