Terror Threats Cancel Dakar Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terror Threats Cancel Dakar Rally

I always follow the Dackar. one of the highlights of my year.
    I guess I won't be doing that any more....

link..

Terror Threats Cancel Dakar Rally By JAMEY KEATEN,
    Associated Press Writer
    Fri Jan 4, 4:47 PM ET

PARIS - The Dakar Rally, the epic motorcycle, car and truck race across the Sahara desert, was canceled Friday by organizers citing "direct" threats of terrorism from al-Qaida-linked militants.

ADVERTISEMENT

The race was deemed too inviting — and too easy — a target for the terror group's new north African affiliate. The roughly 550 competitors were to have embarked Saturday on the 16-day, 5,760-mile trek through remote and hostile dunes and scrub from Europe to Senegal in west Africa.

Organizers of the rally, once known as the Paris-Dakar, cited warnings from the French government about safety after the al-Qaida-linked Dec. 24 slaying of a family of French tourists in Mauritania — where most of the competition was to be held — and "threats launched directly against the race by terrorist organizations."

It was the first time that the 30-year-old rally, one of the biggest competitions in automobile racing, has been called off. The Dakar is one of the most prominent public events to be canceled since the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, when many sports events in the United States were canceled or postponed — some as a result of airport closings or in mourning for the victims.

The cancellation of such a world-renowned sports event is rare, particularly as a pre-emptive measure against terrorism. Even the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich continued, following a 34-hour pause, after 11 Israeli athletes and coaches were killed by Palestinian gunmen.

Victor Anderes, vice president of special projects at Global Security Associates, a New York-based firm that provides security for high-profile events including the 2006 Olympic Games in Turin, Italy, called the cancellation unprecedented.

"Smaller cultural events have been canceled before because of terror threats, but this hasn't happened with such a major international event," he said.

"The threat is significant," Anderes said. "It would be almost impossible to secure the entire course." He said the race is particularly vulnerable because it crosses different countries and large, unpopulated areas.

"When you are told of direct threats against the event and when the sinister name of al-Qaida is mentioned, you don't ask for details," Patrice Clerc, who heads the company that organizes the rally, told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "It was enough for me to hear my government say 'beware, the danger is at a maximum.'"

Experts cautioned — as Western governments have often warned — that bowing to terror threats could encourage more violence. They said al-Qaida's North African wing had scored
    Originally posted by Gurm
    .. some very fair skinned women just have a nasty brown crack no matter what...

The Paris-Dakar rally (not really a rally) started 30 years ago and was originally more or less for production vehicles. Then the makers got on the bandwagon and it became a super-organised and very dangerous race (with an average of about two deaths/year). It has become uninteresting as it changed away from adventure.

If they wanted to, they could have re-routed it away from Mauretania.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

IMO It is completely the wrong decision. Let the teams decide. Don't let the terrorist bastards win
      FT.

Comment

If I were the organiser, I'd not let the teams decide: it'd be my responsibility as organiser. If the teams have a taste for the risk, they can organise it themselves.
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I think it's a BIG misunderstanding. You see, AQ are actually protecting our planet by preventing a bunch of petrol head huligans from destroying the natural habitat of many plants and creatures in the Sahara desert while releasing an mostrous amount of greenhouse gasses into our atmosphere.
          Shame on you all, you environmental terrorists!!!
          "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

One of my favorites this was....shame.
            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Dakar what ? Sorry, I usually don't watch it.
              Though, wasn't it canceled or rerouted before due to similar security concerns ?

Comment

Working...
              X