X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new Vid card for Gurm! nv 9800 GX2

GeForce 9800 GX2
    1GB of ram, 2 GPUs.
    Its essentially 2 8800gtx's in one with a die-shrink.

Think 7950 GX2.

Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

I want benchmarks.
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Well I can give you the net result of the still non-existant benchmarks: Still not good enough for Crysis.
      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

Hehe.

Maybe two or three of those in SLI might do the trick, with two quad cores?

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro View Post
          Hehe.

Maybe two or three of those in SLI might do the trick, with two quad cores?

You'd need a 1.2 kW PSU to power that monstrosity. Do you realize a 3-way SLI with 9800 GX2's would be a 6 GPU system?
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
            You'd need a 1.2 kW PSU to power that monstrosity. Do you realize a 3-way SLI with 9800 GX2's would be a 6 GPU system?
            Yes I realize. But I forgot about power consumption.

Can't wait till they benchmark it and how much it will cost and how much power it will consume and benchies in a 3-way SLI!

Comment

All you need for good graphics is a Blitter and a Fat Agnes.

This card looks swell, but since it doesn't come in an AGP variant, nevermind.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm View Post
                All you need for good graphics is a Blitter and a Fat Agnes.

Have a few Amiga's here, two still doing video stuff (A3000 & A4000).
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

That's great, another dual card that's only 30% faster than the Ultra. And this will be followed by some respins (9600 & 9800GTX), just after the G92 8800 GT/GTS release (or should I say more respins). On top of that the 8800GS is supposed to be a limited quantity product, to be replaced with the 9600. The whole line is getting confusing.

Just went through the experience of selling my G80 GTS (about 60% of initial purchase value, after 8 months) in a market where everyone and his brother wanted a G92 GT. If nVidia throws another respin to replace the G92 8800 GT/GTS I'm going bunkers. Problem here is that ATI doesn't really have an alternative, the only card worth buying now is the Sapphire Atomic HD3870. Sadly, the R700 could very well turn out to be a 2-4 R650 chip card, another multi GPU solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral View Post
                    That's great, another dual card that's only 30% faster than the Ultra. And this will be followed by some respins (9600 & 9800GTX), just after the G92 8800 GT/GTS release (or should I say more respins). On top of that the 8800GS is supposed to be a limited quantity product, to be replaced with the 9600. The whole line is getting confusing.

Just went through the experience of selling my G80 GTS (about 60% of initial purchase value, after 8 months) in a market where everyone and his brother wanted a G92 GT. If nVidia throws another respin to replace the G92 8800 GT/GTS I'm going bunkers. Problem here is that ATI doesn't really have an alternative, the only card worth buying now is the Sapphire Atomic HD3870. Sadly, the R700 could very well turn out to be a 2-4 R650 chip card, another multi GPU solution.

Perhaps it shows how little I care about the 3d card market that I have NO idea what you just said. You were PQP'ing the FRF with GYT in JUYT, weren't you? ROFLMAO!!!!!111one
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Point was I'm sick of nVidia's lineup and marketing plans, nothing really new, just products that make your previous card sell lower than it should. Maybe I'm a bit paranoid, if rumors are to be true and they make a 55nm part in summer to replace the mid-range cards (8800 GT/GTS 512) it will be G92 hysteria all over. Only this time it won't be G92 vs G80, it will be 55nm part vs G92.

The other point was that ATI doesn't offer any acceptable alternative, they barely match them in performance (with factory overclocked solutions), trying to compensate with price and future products could be multi GPU (nVidia just beat them to the punch).

edit: And it's not my problem nVidia can't label their products properly. You have a seemingly new core (G92) and can't name the product lineup 8900, it's still 8800, G80 bites the dust. Next we have the 9600, 9800 GTX/GX2 which are based on the same G92 core (65nm), while the mid range cards are named 8800. On top of that they'll probably have a new 55nm core for the 9800 GT/GTS.

previous lineup: 8600 GS/GT/XT, 8800GTS 320/640, 8800GTX 768, 8800 Ultra 768 - all G80
                      current lineup: 8800GS 384, 8800GT 256/512/1024, 8800GTS 256/512/1024, 8800GTX 768, 8800 Ultra 768 - G92 and G80 (GTX & Ultra)
                      product lineup in March/April: 9600, 8800GT, 8800GTS, 9800GTX, 9800GX2 - all G92
                      product lineup in summer: 9600, 9800GT, 9800GTS, 9800GTX, 9800GX2 - 9800GT/GTS (55nm, G whatever), the rest (65nm, G92)
                      Last edited by Admiral; 5 January 2008, 15:33.

Comment

Yes. I know. I was being sarcasmic.

My current problem is that my rig is at the "completely replace" threshhold.

2GB of DDR400
                        AGP
                        eVGA 7800GTS
                        Athlon 64 3600+

So if I want to upgrade ANY of it, I have to replace ALL of it, and buy motherboard, RAM, CPU, and video all at once. And... I just don't have $500.

Comment

Toms hardware estimates the 9800GX2 to be priced ~$450 USD. Not too bad actually, much less than the 8800Ultra was.

Comment

Times are a changin

dude1> how powerfull is your computer
                            dude2> 2 horse power

Comment

Good grief. What's the point? I have a 8800GTS and can play any games I play at 1680X1050 all settings max.
                              "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Working...
                              X