No announcement yet.

Current Anti-spayware recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current Anti-spayware recommendations?

I know Adaware was once king of the hill, but things move on.

What's the best choice for a small network of ~10 PCs? Auto-updates and scheduled scans are essential. This is an option http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_...enterprise.php but are they still good?

Ta,

T.
    FT.

At this point the only product I "leave installed" is Spy Sweeper.

Recently I've begun using the Antivirus portion of it... which is from SOPHOS!

I've been happy so far, although it DOES use up quite a bit more resources than NOD32, but NOD is terrible at catching spyware.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Amongst the fourth that I use (not just on my system), Spybot still finds spywares. Although since I've switched to Opera from Firefox, I have never seen a spyware since.
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

If I'm actively scanning a system for Spyware, I use:

- Spy Sweeper
        - AVG Antispyware
        - Hijack This!
        - AVG Antirootkit
        - Rogue Remover
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

I tend to use

Spyware Doctor
          Webroot Spysweeper
          Hijack this
          Nod32
          mwav
          adaware
          spybot

None of them are 100% though but you normally manage to cut the head off the spyware.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I use SpybotSD, Super AntiSpyware and Adaware and Avast AV.

They usually get rid of easy stuff, once you get really infested machine you can only format and reinstall.

Comment

AdAware
              AVG Antirootkit
              AVG Antispyware
              Hijack This!
              Spyware Doctor
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

To prevent spaying, I recommend never getting married, and staying away from the vet's office.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

@ Wombat: I've never looked back.

Thanks guys. I see Adaware barely makes it on your lists these days. Of all your favourites, whats the most proactive? I need something that doesn't rely on the users to remember to scan.

Cheers,

T.
                  FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
                    @ Wombat: I've never looked back.

Thanks guys. I see Adaware barely makes it on your lists these days. Of all your favourites, whats the most proactive? I need something that doesn't rely on the users to remember to scan.

Cheers,

T.

Most proactive with least false positives and least "oh look what Internet Explorer WON'T do any more" would be Spy Sweeper or AVG Anti-Spyware. The latter, of course, comes in a free version so it might be more appealing.

However, I find that if I can just avoid using IE7... *sigh*

Problem is I ... LIKE ... IE7. More than Firefox. Maybe I should get back into Opera, maybe they've fixed the memory leaks by now (ha).

Comment

Spyware Doctor lets you schedule scans and do silent upgrades.
                      Dr. Mordrid
                      ----------------------------
                      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm View Post
                        Most proactive with least false positives and least "oh look what Internet Explorer WON'T do any more" would be Spy Sweeper or AVG Anti-Spyware. The latter, of course, comes in a free version so it might be more appealing.

However, I find that if I can just avoid using IE7... *sigh*

Problem is I ... LIKE ... IE7. More than Firefox. Maybe I should get back into Opera, maybe they've fixed the memory leaks by now (ha).
                        I've tried AVG Anti-malware (combination of regular AVG and AVG Anti-spyware), but it eat RAM for breakfast! 100MB for just the office plugins (outlook, work/excel) and _no_ realtime scanning component. Disabling all the AVG services is rather tedious when working with large photoshop files just to free up 100MB RAM.

Next on my try-list is Nod32, which supposedly is light on resources too.

As for opera: wait till 9.50 final is released (should be sooner than later). It's much faster than the 8.x and 9.2x versions (I think somewhere around 8.x the page loading time got longer in opera).

Comment

I have a nice router (Netopia$$), and use AVG Free + IE7. Never had any problems.
                          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                          Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Working...
                          X