X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incoming!!

It's pucker time

It's behind you: Great White stalks ocean canoeist

Alone in his tiny plastic sea kayak, marine biologist Trey Snow had hoped to stealthily track a great white shark. But he had the shock of his life when he spotted a giant fin and realised it was he who was being stalked - by surely one of the most feared killers in the world.

The magnificent creature initially dived to the seabed, inspecting the kayak from below, before rising menacingly to the surface. Luckily for Trey, the 13ft-long shark was more inquisitive than hungry.

Trey was just one of a team of scientists hoping to discover why a large group of great whites, which travel off southern Africa's tip during the summer, regularly swim so close to the beaches.

They decided to venture into the deep blue in the quietest and most unobtrusive vessel they could think of - a bright yellow sea kayak. Amazingly the sharks carried on as normal, giving the scientists a unique insight into their lives.

They observed that the intrepid animals come inshore to interact socially with others of their species - possibly using the opportunity to mate and give birth - and can often be spotted following, or swimming circles around, one another, for extended periods of time.

This incredible picture was taken by wildlife photographer Thomas Peschak - who had to tie himself to the high bridge of a nearby vessel and lean precariously over the ocean before he could get his shot.

The holy grail of shark research and marine wildlife photography is to see great whites mating and giving birth. It is a task which is extremely difficult and dangerous, if not impossible, and even Thomas Peschak has not achieved it yet. And Trey Snow might be thinking he has already got as close to a great white as he wants to ...
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Yikes!

In theory, sharks attack surfers because from below they look like seals... Many in the dive club have already swam alongside sharks (not great whites, but still...), and this is also an application of this theory: a diver underwater doesn't look like a seal or a fish. But that is theory........

Great photo!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I saw an interesting segment on Mythbusters last night... they tested a myth that great white sharks won't attack when dolphins are in the area. The assumption is that the sharks don't want to deal with dolphins, which are known to protect other animals when threatened or attacked.
      Anyway, they went to a known area in the morning where great whites are feeding. Threw in a baby seal look-alike decoy and a shark attacked it in seconds. They then put a life sized dolphin that they recreated in the water, and then put the seal bait decoy back in the water nearby. The shark came up to investigate, and didn't strike. The same occured when using real fish chunks as bait also... the sharks don't seem to strike when the dolphin is around.

Comment

That's because in the wild dolphins will gang-tackle sharks when they get too close. Seen it happen more than once.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

That's why you don't see me in a kayak............ not even in a river........ just to make sure!

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Well the great whites we get around here come up the coast following seals.

I saw an interesting documentary a while ago about great whites.
            They made shapes that looked like various things and trolled them behind a boat to get them to strike.

Initially it seemed they were singling out seal shaped silhouette, but after a while they worked they prefered to "attack" carpeted bits of wood. And they were doing it for fun, they went out of there way to try and launch out of the air(very spectacular)

It was kind of similar they way they do attack seals in open water, but there were difference that seemed to indicate the sharks knew it was not real but enjoyed it anyway.

Comment

Working...
            X