Dolby Digital & Sound Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dolby Digital & Sound Cards

If I had a Dolby Digital 5.1 decoder & speakers, could either the Soundblaster Live 1024 player or the Aureal Vortex2 SQ2500 pass out the raw signal to the decoder so that I could play DVDs and hear the 5.1 soundtrack.

If any, which card would be:
    a) easier to setup?
    b) more reliable?
    c) better quality?

Thanks,

[This message has been edited by adamhamilton (edited 18 November 1999).]

It depends on what version of the card you have and what DVD software yo use. None of the current sound cards actually decode AC-3/Dolby digital, just pass through the raw signal.

The SB Live!, Value w/ Digital I/O card and SB Live! Platinum and SB X-gamer can pass an AC-3 signal out via the SPIDF Out. The SPDIF out uses a standard RCA coaxial plug and you can connect it to an AC-3 reciever that way. Just make sure you use a digital RCA coax for it, or you may have troubles.

I do not know much about the Vortex2 cards, but I do know that there are a few variations that will allow digital signals (like an AC-3) to be passed through the sound card. When looking for a Vortex2 card just make sure it has an optical TOSLink or SPIDF out on it. Then it should be able to pass the signal (I don't know of any boards off hand, I am a Sound Blaster user).

Both the Vortex2 and SB cards are easy to setup. With most of the SB solutions you have to wire the additional cable from the sound card to the digital card, but otherwise they are pretty much the same. Both sound good and are reliable. The only real trouble comes in finding a DVD player that will pass-through the AC-3 for you. Curently I do not know of any software players that do; although, Creative is working on a software player that will pass through AC-3 on SB cards. I do not know of any release date for that.

That pretty much sums it up. I use an SB Live! w/ the digital I/O (not the optical one) and Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 speakers. SOunds good, works well and all that fun stuff inbetween. Any more questions, just ask.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

> With most of the SB solutions you have to wire the additional cable from the sound card to the digital card

Does the SB Live come as two cards then?

Comment

The SB Live! (the older equivelant of the Platinum) comes with 2 cards, so it will take 2 slots in the back. The secondary card does not actually use an IRQ or plug-in to a PCI slot, just takes up space. They use a 30-pin ribbon cable to connect the 2 cards together.

The Live! value uses a optical Digital I/O card that you buy spereately for $50 (if they still sell them). Or you can grab a card from Hoontech. The Optical Digital I/O card can also be used on the Live! (makes for one impressive set of in's and out's, but sucks up 3 slots in the back).

The Live! Platinum has a Live!Drive. Basically it is a 5.25" bay kit that you put in the front of your case and has a bunch of outputs on it. Check it out here:

http://www.sblive.com/products/platinum/

It too uses a ribbon cable to connect it to the actual sound card.

The X-gamer uses a different system. It has a SPIDF out, but it has a 1/8th inch stereo plug instead of an RCA coax as the output. You can buy a 1/8th inch mini-jack to RCA converter and supposedly it works just fine. Don't have an X-gamer so I can't tell you from first hand experience. Whether AC-3 pass-through is disabled on it, I can't tell you either. Creative has a tendency of doing stuff like that.

I actually believe that there are a few Vortex2 cards that use a secondary digital I/O card. I don't know what brands, but I have seen them.

Any more questions, just ask.

Jammrock

------------------
        PIII 450@something higher, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB on 2 WD Expert drives, Abit Hot Rod UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening in it, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverSmack addict.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Yes the Aureal Vortex2 SQ2500 can pass out the raw signal to the decoder so that you could play DVDs and hear the 5.1 soundtrack from a Dolby Digital 5.1 decoder & speakers, without useing a second slot.

Mark F.

------------------
          OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
          --------------------------------------------------
          OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
          and burped out a movie

Comment

Working...
          X