Recommendations on multimeters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations on multimeters?

It's time for me to get a DMM for home, since the current job doesn't involve them. I'll admit, I'm spoiled by the Fluke meters at my last job, but they cost way too much for what I need. I'm looking for good choices under $100 USD. Anybody have recommendations?

Thanks!
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

have you looked at Jenson tools online?

C

Comment

Even the second-cheapest MMs are good enough for most stuff (look at the specs - tolerances are largely the same across quite a wide price range), so I'd just go by prices and looks/ergonomics.
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

i couldn't bring myself to buy a cheap meter for home use...and i tried...i use fluke equipment(o'scopes, dmm and thermal and lan scanners) at work...my home meter is a Fluke 87 III...nice, but definately overkill for home use, but i use one at work and i am familiar with it.

i do have some jenson, paladin and triplett stuff for home/handyman uses and it isn't bad stuff.

c

Comment

Fluke. Why would you buy enything else?
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Because Flukes costs like 4-5x as much. I know it's quality stuff, but I don't need that quality for my home uses.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat View Post
              Because Flukes costs like 4-5x as much. I know it's quality stuff, but I don't need that quality for my home uses.

Then just get the regular cheap-o DMM from Radio Shack and call it day.
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

...well...what did you get?

C

Comment

If you haven't gotten one yet, here are a couple of suggetions:

1) Radio Shack, but not the cheapest one. I got one 6 or 8 years ago that has a serial port so you can log to a PC, and I think it even came with the cable and software.

2) Get a Fluke from eBay.

In either case, you should budget $75-150 for a good (enough) meter.

- Steve

Comment

The local radioshack equivalent sells these...

Uni-T they look to have quite a few features / options

Comment

Fluke

I've had my 867B for 11 years now and it's still in cal. Drop test a cheaper meter and what do you have? A replacement.

Ebay is the best place to find them cheap. They last and are built of the highest Q.

I laugh about mine... yes it's over kill for a home meter, but then again it wasn't purchased for that role. It has served me well and has untold # of times it did what I bought it for other than a $1000 battery tester
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X