Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remote storage / backup solution

hi guys,

given some digital data fatalities around here lately, I'm looking into getting my data "off site" regularly, at a manageable price. my backup software supports primary and secondary locations for a backup - so far, I just used an external usb-hd as primary, and mozy for daily stuff. mozy was dumped recently because of their somewhat stupid approach to data retention...

I've been looking into amazons S3 storage, which can be accessed by s3drive, thereby using the s3 storage more or less as a networked drive. cost would be some 0.15$/gb & month + about the same for up/down traffic. I'd encrypt my data (mostly emails, files) before uploading.

any ideas on that, alternatives or things I'm missing? for me it looks like a very simply, clean & cheap solution.

mfg
    wulfman
    "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
    "Lobsters?"
    "Really? I didn't know they did that."
    "Oh yes, red means help!"

I'm still looking for a good solution for this myself. I have tried Mozy http://mozy.com/ and it actually does a decent job. The home version is CHEAP and only costs $5 a month but since I have a server and want to back up a LOT of data it hasn't been the best option for me. The Pro version can handle servers but then you are talking $.50/gb month.
    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

We sell istor it's a bit more expensive and geared mainly towards business. It works well, data is encrypted and they have 2 datacenters that replicate, one in Switzerland, other in EU. You cannot decrypt data without your password. Otherwise you install one central client on a server and have them back up data.

Such solutions are OK but they're very costly so it's only for email and irreplaceable data such as business databases...

There was a review on Arstechnica recently of such solutions.
      Last edited by UtwigMU; 29 December 2007, 12:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Claymonkey View Post
        I'm still looking for a good solution for this myself. I have tried Mozy http://mozy.com/ and it actually does a decent job. The home version is CHEAP and only costs $5 a month but since I have a server and want to back up a LOT of data it hasn't been the best option for me.
        I understand that mozy will delete a file from the backup 30 days after I deleted it locally. so if I don't notice that a file is missing, it will be gone from the "backup" as well. what kind of backup solution is that? a shitty one, if you ask me.

mfg
        wulfman
        "Lobsters?"

Comment

Hrm... didn't realize it did that.... that's.... annoying.
          Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Claymonkey View Post
            Hrm... didn't realize it did that.... that's.... annoying.
            indeed. just to be fair, the source: http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13554_1-9752330-33.html
            This is a quote from Mozy.com (as of July 29, 2007): "If you delete the working copy on your machine and then run a backup, Mozy will assume that you no longer need a backup copy, since you got rid of the working copy, and will mark the file to be removed from our system in 30 days...After 30 days, you cannot get these files back."
            mfg
            wulfman
            Last edited by Wulfman; 29 December 2007, 18:05.
            "Lobsters?"

Comment

Working...
            X