500MHz K6-3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500MHz K6-3

I just noticed such a thing. Does anyone posess any information on this CPU? Is it somehow diffrent from the old line?

_
    B

Buuri
    It's coming in December on.18 micron.
    At least according to this site http://www.lynncomp.com/amd.htm
    which, by the way,seems to have a direct connection with AMD,as they announced one chip,sorry forget which one,that AMD denied any knowledge of,only to announce it 3 weeks later.
    It would not surprise me,if they would be willing to send you one if you have difficulty tracking it down in Finland.
    Good luck!

Comment

Here's another technical detail: According to the German website of Asus, the K6-III/500 has a core voltage of 2.2 V (while the older K6-III versions have 2.4 V). I suppose this is made possible by the .18 micron manufacturing process. It looks as if Socket 7 isn't dead yet...

Comment

Actually the old K6-3 line is 2.2V as well. Look here for example: http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/images/k6iiidsktp.gif

I hope they'll make faster models, because that'd be really a good and cheap way to upgrade our existing PC, and makes a pretty nice system overall. Not for high-end gaming, but otherwise.
        The best (wildest) rumour that I've heard so far is that they would go with K6-3 even +600MHz!

_
        B

Comment

Buuri,

you're right. Only the early versions of the K6-III (ordering part number "AHX") were running at 2.4 V, the newer revisions ("AFR" and "AFX") have 2.2 V core voltage. Sorry for the mistake. Anyway, it's good to know that AMD will continue to produce SS7 processors (and even introduce a new one called K6-2+) - btw, I recently read that Intel's "socket 370" version of the Coppermine won't be compatible with current Celeron motherboards... ;-)

Comment

mines running fine. 2.4V, of course

------------------
            k6-3 450 @500 - tyan 1590s bios 1.16 - wdac310100 - g200 mill sgram w/8mb upgrade & bios 2.6-20 PD 5.25 - AGP1x - 128MB 10ns sdram - sblive value 2.1 - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access (28.8k for emergencies) - win98 service pack 1 + 2
            dx7

abit kt7-raid athlon 1ghz quantum 20.4gb - 7200 + wd 200bb - 7200 rpm UDMA100-
            g400 max-
            256MB pc133 sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - winME
            dx7.?- V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO
            Kensiko (Netpointe) scrolling mouse

Comment

Working...
            X