Help! I can't fix my system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! I can't fix my system

This is a continuation of this thread: http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php...hlight=8800gts

But you can just read this one for all the info.

Geez, I buy a new system, everything works great for 2-3 weeks. Suddenly it stops booting. No post, no beeps, no monitor, nothing. If I wait 3 or more days, it will boot again and work for a while and then the same problem happens.

To make a long story short, I have replaced the motherboard, cpu and power supply. The only things left are the memory and video card! I've unplugged everything else, all drives, usb ports, ieee, sound, etc...

I've tried oen stick of memory at a time in all 4 slots. The only thing that I haven't moved around is the video card. I give up I am going to buy a video card and memory today. Somehow I feel like this isn't going to solve my problem. Any ideas anyone???
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

I suppose it's possible a vid card bios or circuits could become corrupted in a way that would prevent booting?

Got an old PCI vid card around to try?
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Thanks, but it is PCI-E only system, hence the purchase of a new video card
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia View Post
        Thanks, but it is PCI-E only system, hence the purchase of a new video card
        Can you return the one you have if it turns out to be the problem?
        If so just get the cheapest, fewest featured card you can.
        (newegg shows about $30)
        Preferably with a different chipset.
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

The one i have is under warranty, so I would need to rma it. I am going to fry's today to buy the cheapest pci-e card I can find.

Comment

The problem appears to be resolved, but I won't feel comfortable for a while. I popped out the old memory, popped in the new and it booted right away. I tried with the old memory right before I switched and it still didn't work, so it is most likely the memory. Interesting. I don't know if the memory is bad or just incompatible. It's Mushkin Lifetime memory though, so I will send it back for some new stuff.
            Last edited by Helevitia; 27 December 2007, 19:56.

Comment

Working...
            X