Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• win xp product key problems...

hi guys,

hope that topic does not fall under the general warez-policy, but I think (hoped) I'm doing something legal here.

here we go:

my T60 came with windows xp pro installed (sticker at the bottom). back then, I burned recovery discs with the supplied lenovo tool, then deleted the recovery partition, installed linux, etc..
    now I actually have to reinstall windows (new hdd), and couldn't find my recovery dvds. stupid, I know...

I thought I could just download any xp pro install cd from the net, and use my cd key to get a legal install, but apparently my key is not recognized: "invalid product key". the first cd I downloaded was a volume copy, so I thought that it might not get recognized because of that, but the second download was a vanilla xp professional sp2-cd, which didn't work either.

are there different windows cds that only recognize specific codes? any ideas where to get lenovo recovery cds from?

thx,
    wulfman
    "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
    "Lobsters?"
    "Really? I didn't know they did that."
    "Oh yes, red means help!"

With Thinkpads you want to get recovery CDs. Since if you don't, Access IBM button doesn't work.

You can also use OEM CD and key on the bottom, I didn't try it with Thinkpad, I tried this with Toshiba laptop and it activated fine. I downloaded 8 in 1 XP CD, chosen OEM Professional and typed in product key that was on the sticker. It activated and worked fine. For OEM key you need OEM CD, for VLK you need Volume licensing media, DSP media, DSP key.... This is why you get 8in1 CD.

If you do this it will probably work.

You can also get restore CDs. IBM service in Slovenia said they'll charge me 1 hour to restore partition which is 100 USD+VAT. Some other IBM/Lenovo shops said they'll charge only 30 Euros. In EU they don't give them out.

What I ended up doing with my T42p was I posted on Arstechnica and Thinkpad forums and found someone with restore CDs. Couple of days of ftp-ing latter everything worked. Also depends, if you want German Windows you'll want German restore CDs, it might be a bit harder to get them.

HPaq have a HP XP CD that you just insert and install from without any product key typing. It activates and updates on any HP computer (even if it may have come only with home sticker or even Free DOS).

Which T60 do you have, specs, pics?
    Last edited by UtwigMU; 23 December 2007, 07:53.

Comment

pics? why pics?

standard T60 2623-D6u, english win XP. works nicely, love the high resolution (1440x1050) screen.

8in1 cds, you say? will look for them, thanks a lot.

mfg
      wulfman
      "Lobsters?"

Comment

I had this problem when trying to create an XP Pro Virtual machine. You need for example a Dell key with a Dell installation CD.

It might be possible to use an HP CD with an IBM key since they are both OEM but I am not sure.
        Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 23 December 2007, 11:50.

Comment

The sticker keys are type (Home, pro,) and language specific

Othervise we have had nbo problems using vanilla oem discs with those keys
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

thanks guys, will know more in some 30 minutes... stuck on a 2mbit line for the holiday season.

mfg
            wulfman
            "Lobsters?"

Comment

Nice res for a 14". In the last years I started loving my Thinkpads probably more than Sasq and Jes love their macs. I have UXGA A21p (2629 HXG) and UXGA T42p (2373 HTG) I have also work issued HPaq nx6110 but I'd rather have 14" T4x instead.
              Last edited by UtwigMU; 23 December 2007, 17:07.

Comment

same here. my gf considers switching from apple to lenovo as well, but apparently her parents (long time apple users) still have some complaints. stuff like "the arrow keys are not level with the space bar" and similar design issues ("that ugly red thing"). while I do understand their point from a purely aesthetics point of view, I just answered "makes them easier to find without looking" and "trackpoint lets me type faster". form follows function, not the other way round.

also love the remarks about my "ancient" notebook. people didn't even notice me switching from T23 to T60. *g*

windows xp up and running again. accidentally got a preactivated dell oem image, changed the key afterwards.

mfg
                wulfman
                "Lobsters?"

Comment

Yes I have my trackpad disabled on T42p (A21p lacks one) and everyone is just dumbfounded. Try using laptop on a bus with a mouse :P On thinkpads I usually don't connect mouse unless I want to use graphic software or play FPS and on other laptops I'm reaching for trackpoint that's not there. HP's trackpoint is now OK with tracking but it's made of hard plastics, hurts your finger after couple of hours.

Thinkpad was designed by Richard Sapper and it's a design classic. I actually like it's aesthetics.
                  Last edited by UtwigMU; 24 December 2007, 11:27.

Comment

OK I hate to admit this since I've been trying to get away from helpdesk entirely but Imaging is one of my forte's.... and that means I know how to muck around with M$ licenses more than most.

It sounds like are on the right track. You need a plain chain OEM XP bootable CD. The generic CD works with pretty much every oem sticker on any computer I've ever tried. There might be some that don't but I haven't seen it. However, a few things to be aware of. If you have an HP and you try to use that OEM XP disc from your bud's Dell (using YOUR key of course), it just won't work. OEM discs branded by a vendor are vendor specific. Additionally, if you have a computer whose license specifically mentions a service pack, you may NOT use an oem disc that pre-dates that Service Pack (ie don't use an original or SP1 disc when you have a post SP2 issued key). They seem to tweak the algo's each time a new SP comes out so the older ones get confused... mind you, if/when SP3 comes out.. feel free to use a OEM disc from THAT with your SP2 or early key.

All that fun asside.. you might still have to get on the phone with M$ and do a manual activation. This will happen if you've changed to much hardware or you're reinstalled 5 times (number is oddly up to the whim of M$).

Wulfman, congrats on getting that working with a Dell image on a Lenovo... that's just impressive. If you have a problem in the future though feel free to PM me (this applies to any other MURC'ers too).

As for anyone else out there that has imaging knowledge... there is black magic voodoo that the big OEM's can do with license keys that us normal joe's can only do if we have a VLK. Imaging and OEM keys is a BIG pain in the arse, but I've had my fair share of small clients that don't want to 'upgrade' to a VLK when they've already bought XP 10+ times when they bough 10+ systems. If anyone wants to take me under their wing and give me some lessons and that kind of voodoo... I'll be most grateful.
                    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

regarding that dell-image: probably just worked because it was preactivated, and therefor "illegal" (wrong key) for a few hours. I afterwards "deactivated" the install through the registry, started the product activation utility, changed the key (phone MS - change key, abort), restarted and finally did a regular internet activation.

lots of fun there.

mfg
                      wulfman
                      "Lobsters?"

Comment

Working...
                      X