Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ice diving

Hello!

As it got colder here, and regular wetsuits are now not warm enough for me to dive in, I enlisted for tha drysuit specialty.
    The first dive of this specislty was planned for today... but there was ice on the lake. So the dive school decided to turn it into an ice dive (for my advanced open water), with only some very basics of the drysuit.

It was a weird experience, the ice was approx 5mm thick (we entered the water from a shore). Very eary light (no snow on top of the ice, a low sun, ...). Temperature was not an issue (water 4 degrees, air 0-4 degrees, no wind but a nice sun).

Highly recommended!
    (pictures will follow)

Jorg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

brrrrr! where's the pics?
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

currently at the club<, I'll get them next week...
      pixar

Comment

Hey Vj,
        What can you see around where you live when diving? Do you have any wreak sites?
        We have lakes and quarries around where I live, where they sunk cars, boats and a few planes on purpose for divers to explore.

Comment

Actually, there is not much very spectacular to see here; diving locations are either artificial (quarries where stuff as been sunk: boats, tanks, car, planes), tiny lakes (not deep, usually low visibility due to the sandy bottom), or quite hostile due to currents (North Sea, rivers), low visibility and low temperature. There are wrecks in the North Sea, but it is a difficult dive location.

The wildlife that can be seen underwater is not colourful, but still is fun to see. There are many possibilities to undertake dive trips (usually to Egypt, Mediterranean, ...).

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Working...
          X