Which AGP videocard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which AGP videocard?

provided that no Geforce 8 series GPU card will ever be released for AGP (haven't seen a single one yet), what should I get for my P4 workstation?
    I'm mostly interested/not interested in:
    - Vista compatibility
    - and who knows if mainstream apps (like google earth) ever will use DX10, so that is a plus too?
    - Gaming is a non-issue
    - Fanless cooling

Right now I'm leaning towards a XFX 7600 GT (underclocked to GS speeds) and a large heatsink, as I've heard not so positive stories about ATI's drivers regard AGP? If those work out or are not as bad as I think they are, I would be interested in ATI's DX10 capabilities.

All other things being equal, the fastest/best is probably the X800XT. However, the 7800 in my machine is pretty damn fast, and very compatible. ATI's drivers aren't ... bad ... per se. They just have odd issues on a routine basis that aren't present in nVidia drivers.

This card is my first - and perhaps only - digression into the sordid world of nVidia. Every other card I have is ATI, and Vista compatibility is awesome on the 9600 Pro, I bet it's awesome on anything since then as well.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm View Post
      ... Vista compatibility is awesome...
      I can't believe you said those words together in the same sentence

Comment

The X1950GT if you can find one, or the X1950Pro for a bit more cash.
        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
        Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

I THINK there is going to be an AGP HD3850, but I could be mistaken.
          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

ah but I'm not really interested in those high-end cards, as I'd like a low-power card that can easily be cooled fanlessly in a low-airflow case and I'm not interested in games.

All the bad things I read about ATI's AGP drivers was regarding hardware acceleration of video playback (H264 and VC1). If those work out, then I might be very interested in the HD2600 (HD3600?) series if those are any better than a 7600GS in performance

Comment

Ah ok, then yeah, definitely stay away from the X1950's, they consume lotsa power and make a lot of heat. Somehow in your first post I saw "gaming" and ignored every word around it
              For hardware acceleration I think the HD2600 is your best bet, I'll have to double check on that though.
              Last edited by Mehen; 20 December 2007, 04:25.

Comment

Some info on the video playback stuff.

The HD2600XT/Pro looks like a good choice. I'll have a look around and see which, if any, manufacturers make a fanless card.

Or you could always get this:
                Thermalright HR 03
                Last edited by Mehen; 20 December 2007, 04:53.

Comment

Gigabyte has a passively cooled HD2600XT. Too bad its only PCI-E. But if anyone else is looking for a similar PCI-E card...
                  Strangest looking card I have ever seen.
                  Here is a review of it: http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles...358&cid=3&pg=1

Last edited by Mehen; 20 December 2007, 04:48.

Comment

I just saw an ATI HD2400 AGP at Best Buy. That should be good for your needs.

Comment

Read my thread of a few days ago about the HD2400pro AGP I bought.
                      It was a steaming pile. Drivers are broken. 3D is nothing but screen after screen of corruption. I wouldn't reccomend any of the HD2xxx series at this point. The VisionTek forums have ppl complaining about all of em.
                      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

thanks, I'll wait some time to see wether the new HD3xxx series will show up in AGP format, and if they'll sort the driver issues. If not, then I'll wait for Geforce 8/9 AGP parts, and if those won't show up either I'll go for a 7600GS or GT downclocked.

Comment

Working...
                        X