Odd power/battery issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd power/battery issue.

I have a HP DV6174ea laptop which i purchased about a year ago. When the laptop was new the battey would provide enough power to watch a DVD from the drive.

A few months ago I noticed that the battery would last ~15mins MAX!!! I assumed the battery was dead as the power saver modes made little difference. I happend to rebuild Vista and the battery was back to it's normal level. Odd. All of a sudden it is back to lasting 10-15mins. I've trawled though the power options but I can't find out what's wrong.

I assume it is a related to an update that I am installed... I'm at a loss as to what to do.
    I am reluctant to wipe everything and start again, but I'm currently tied to a power socket...

Any thoughts?
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

Any thoughts?

Switch to XP?

(Sorry, couldn't help myself)
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

I would if vista wasn't so pretty! Anyway, I'd have to retrain the wife...

Interestingly it reaches 100% charged very quickly...
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Isn't it pretty clear the comp thinks the battery is full when it isn't really?

That would explain both the short run time and quick charge time.

(not that I know anything at all about: vista, laptops, power save modes, batteries, or pretty much anything else)

Though, can you load the original mb drivers, or whatever controls the power?
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

i'll have a poke around HP's site...
          I could time how long the laptop sits at the BIOS screen on battery???

Comment

There are probably updated power drivers... uhh... yeah.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Disable the hibernate/shutdown stuff on low or critical battery, and let the system drain completely until the system shuts off. Then plug it in and let it charge fully before turning it back on.
              I've seen some Dell laptops do something similar, where it said 100% when plugged in, and then went to 65% immediately when unplugged.

Comment

Sounds like it needs calibrating - is there an option in the BIOS or a utility from the website?

Otherwise yeah as Paddy how long does it last in just say the BIOS screen - leave it to run flat and then fully charge it.

Comment

I'd retrain the wife for XP, then the battery would last a long time and the laptop would be twice as fast
                  FT.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveC View Post
                    Otherwise yeah as Paddy how long does it last in just say the BIOS screen - leave it to run flat and then fully charge it.
                    Just wondering if all the battery optimization aspects are up and running in the bios screen (e.g. does it throtle the CPU?)...

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
                    I'd retrain the wife for XP, then the battery would last a long time and the laptop would be twice as fast
                    retrain the wife: can that be done?

Jörg
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Good point. Maybe not...never had much success myself
                      FT.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveC View Post
                        Sounds like it needs calibrating - is there an option in the BIOS or a utility from the website?

Thanks guys. HP contacted me today and said the same thing
                        I'll try it tonight.

Comment

Working...
                        X