Thermal Paste Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermal Paste Review

I actually learned something today!! (amidst my exam studying).

They found that applying paste in the centre (blob-fashion) yields better results than spreading it across the surface of the chip (average of about 5C under load).
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

probably due to their being less possibility of pockets of air being trapped in there...
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen| View Post
      I actually learned something today!! (amidst my exam studying).
      Thank God the internet wasn't available when I went to university.
      I got little enough done as it was.

PS very interesting article.
      Last edited by cjolley; 17 December 2007, 10:53.
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

I use toothpaste...

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram View Post
          I use toothpaste...
          Be sure not to miss the link to one man's tale about his Lutefisk meal!
          It's part of the discussion of Vegemite.

The link is about half way down the page "...worse things"

direct link: http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=Lutefisk

OMG
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

After having made the terrible mistake of actually buying a tiny jar of Marmite and discovering that the recommenced serving size of 4 grams was a misprint and was really supposed to be 0 grams, I can only imagine that Lutefisk must taste like grilled tuna steak by comparison.

Comment

I had a buddy that used bacon onion dip as thermal paste.
              Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
              Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

I use the Intel stock pad! I'm afraid that if I use thermal paste that my laptop will die soon after so I'm leaving it stock. Either way, even with arctic silver, it makes no difference, in fact the load temps are lower with the stock pads. Go figure.

@Mehen: MMMmmm bacon onion dip. Drool.
                Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
                  Either way, even with arctic silver, it makes no difference, in fact the load temps are lower with the stock pads. Go figure.
                  I don't know where you see that. The stock pads in that article are consistently a few degrees warmer than any of the aftermarket offerings.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Hmm, they could have included also typical thermal paste added for example to coolers... (but...yeah, nobody tests "normal" stuff...)

Originally posted by |Mehen| View Post
                    I had a buddy that used bacon onion dip as thermal paste.
                    Hm, I have a buddy that used cyanoacrylate glue few times in the past

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat View Post
                      I don't know where you see that. The stock pads in that article are consistently a few degrees warmer than any of the aftermarket offerings.
                      I meant for my laptop and not in the article. When I was using arctic silver with the heatsink on my last laptop, the max temp was higher than my current laptop, using the stock thermal pads. But everytime they replaced my laptop, they replaced the heatsink so I could of had a defective heatsink or fan.
                      Titanium is the new bling!
                      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Hmm...different machines, differently calibrated temp. sensors?... (or different enough cooling)

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley View Post
                          Be sure not to miss the link to one man's tale about his Lutefisk meal!
                          It's part of the discussion of Vegemite.

The link is about half way down the page "...worse things"

direct link: http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=Lutefisk

OMG
                          As a genuine Swede I have to point out that of all the culinary wonders of Scandinavia "lutfisk" doesn't hold a candle against "Surströming" (soured herring)

The name is a bit deceptive, its not sour - Its rotten!!

Lutefish may kill you if not properly prepared, Surströming is properly prepared when the smell will kill you!

It's a bit like teargas only worse....
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                          X