Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesla to build a "Volt"-type vehicle?

This on the GM-VOLT.com site;

Is Tesla Planning to Build an E-REV Too?

As you may be aware, Tesla Motors is a Silicon Valley start-up company that has produced an electric car called the Tesla Roadster. It is not available for sale yet, but that is imminent, and the sporty two-seater will set you back about 100K. In time, they hope to build a sub-50K sedan called the White Star.

GM’s E-Flex design has certainly evoked awe in many people, including other carmakers. The brilliance of a lower-range and therefore lower-cost lithium-ion battery, with an emergency generator, and a range that suits most is hard to ignore.

Since GM announced the Volt concept, other automakers have followed suit with similar concepts of their own. Examples include the Volvo Re-Charge concept and the Chinese automaker BYD’s concept.

Now as per Michael Kanellos of CNET, possibly Tesla is considering this design.
    He reports Tesla VP of Finance Mike Taylor said that the Volt is ” ‘a really good way’, of extending the range on electric sedans in a cost-effective way.”

Taylor also told Kanellos that the Volt had a “really elegant design.” , but wouldn’t actually confirm whether Tesla is considering building a gas range-extender model.

I asked Darryl Siry who is Tesla Motors VP of marketing what his position on this was.

His response:

“Our expertise in electric drive is applicable to pure electrics as well as range extended applications. We have looked at both and could engineer both. Based on what we have modeled and engineered, I personally believe they are solutions for distinct market segments, with the E-REV having certain advantages for certain customers and the pure BEV having advantages for others.”
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps
Working...
X