Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Win98 SE upgrade kills Client for MS Networks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win98 SE upgrade kills Client for MS Networks?

I had a perfectly fine Win98 setup whereby it could see shares on other systems and they could see it. Then I upgraded Win98 with the upgrade CDROM to SE. After that I had to reconfigure some things, but when booting there was no prompt to log in. This has the side effect of it disallowing network drive mapping or browsing through Network Neightborhood.

Although this machine can't browse the rest of the network, it can print a test page to a network printer and using "Find Computer" works, but I can't click on any machine. Shares going the other direction work fine, so the workaround for now is to sit at the other machine to manipulate files to and from both systems.

I can ping machines by name and telnet by name from the machine having the problem, and NET DIAG works both ways too, so it seems only Client for MS Networks has busted.

I have called MS Support about this but am waiting for a return call from a "research team".

Has anyone else run into a dead MS network client after a 98SE upgrade? I'm expecting a lame solution of "reinstall Windows 98". Reinstalling network control panel items has been tried, as well as all Communications components from Win98 setup. I know how to create a share, and set the network default login to Client for Microsoft Networks.

[This message has been edited by labrador (edited 03 November 1999).]

If I ever have a problem with networking under NT WS or Win9x (NT Server's a little different), the only way to fix it is not to play and mess with it trying to figure it out, but to remove ALL networking (adapters, clients and protocols) from the OS so that there's NOTHING (not even dial up adapter) under networking in control panel. Then restart, and add it all again. Remember to use the 98SE disk when adding it all again though!

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"The chances of anything coming from Mars, are a million-to-one", he said.

Comment

ya, usually with my clients, if they have problems with network control panel. remove everything, reboot, then try re-adding.

just make sure you got client for ms networks, ipx/spx, netbeui, file and printer sharing.

good luck

Comment

** Opinion Alert ** ** Opinion Aler **

IPX/SPX - NetBeui.... Yeuch....
        UGLEEEEE....

Get rid of those things, and revamp the network to TCP/IP only...

IPX/SPX - Broadcast glutton - will bring a network to it's knees with unneeded/unwarranted broadcasts and blurbs...

NetBeui - Worse than IPX/SPX...

TCP/IP - More difficult to configure, but once it's set - very few problems, and a lot less traffic over the backbones...

** Standing Down **

Guyv
        Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
        - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
        - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
        - 6.1 Digital Audio
        - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
        - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
        - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
        - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
        - LS120 IDE Floppy
        - Zip 100 IDE
        - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
        - NEC FE950
        - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

So it's not just me! I thought I was going mad.
          After upgrading the same way, I have the exact same problem, no option to log on. If we have the same problem you will find a log off "your user name" option still available under the Start menu. If you log off here, it will "change profiles" and then give you a log on screen with "your user name" (as we used to get), then everything works. Let me know if it works, I thought it was just me, then we can get back to Microsoft and document it... (if only it was that easy)

Dave
          Don't make me angry...

Comment

Hey Dave, that was right on!

I had noticed that Logoff link with my name on it but it hadn't struck me to try using it, given that normally a reboot is going to include a logoff.

As you said, as soon as I used logoff, it cycled and then a logon prompt appeared. I used that and then everything was back to normal. Thanks a lot for the tip!

As to why use IPX and NetBEUI? IPX is required for some networked games. NetBEUI is set up as the default protocol for NetBIOS. I had trouble using TCP as the default and then I found a web site that explained the TCP/IP implementation of NetBIOS was different in between Win 95/98/NT. I installed NetBEUI and that enabled browsing of machines again. (This issue arose when I originally set up my network and is unrelated to the topic of this thread.)

The M.U.R.C. forum proves its worth again!
            (I still have not heard back from MS.)

Comment

Glad it worked- let me know if you hear from Microsoft, this bug is really bugging my wife who tries to hold our network together. W98 takes long enough to boot up without having to do it one and a bit times every time you power up.

Dave
              Don't make me angry...

Comment

Aaa Thats nice ..Its been drivin me Bug Sh*t
                Now Im up again ..But 1 of my boxex wont share its printer nicely .I can move files back and forth I can see the printers but The booger wont come on line.. Is sharing printers harder than sharing files ?? Im thinking maby a better hub or nics.But a simple answer like the one above would be SWWEEEEETTT ... Thanks again,, Matt
                Abit BF6, P3 secc 700E AT 1001,alpha cooler,256 megs Micron 7.5ns pc133 ram, G400 32meg Dh ,Promise fasttrack striping 2 Quantum ka 18gig's + 2 10gig IBM's ,Sb-live platinum ,Cambridge Fps2000 speakers ,Onstream 30gig tape ,Sony cdrw ,toshiba dvd, Lotsa fans,cables ,noise....

Comment

I have now talked with Microsoft Support and found a better solution than the Logoff <username> workaround.

In the registry there may be an entry called "autologon". I don't remember what branch of the reg tree this was under, but the MS Tech Support person didn't get into this detail before she said to delete it, so I imagine it is safe to say it is unique. Anyway, as I hinted there, the solution is to remove that key, reboot and then the Client for Microsoft Networks logon will appear from then on, following a reboot.

[This message has been edited by labrador (edited 12 November 1999).]

Comment

Printer sharing is a little more difficult in that #1 - The printer driver must support peer-to-peer sharing.

#2 - The host shares the printer, then the sharee connects to the share, which should transfer the drivers to the sharee and install.

#3 - Run a test print. If there are problems, try setting the printer on the sharee to start printing after it is finished spooling. You may also want to *NOT* capture a dos lpt port if you aren't printing from a dos application....

If you need anything else, or a better breakdown on this, just reply...

Guyv
                    Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                    - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                    - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                    - 6.1 Digital Audio
                    - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                    - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                    - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                    - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                    - LS120 IDE Floppy
                    - Zip 100 IDE
                    - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                    - NEC FE950
                    - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

The printer question isn't exactly related to why this thread was posted, but...

Try installing the printer driver on all machines that need to be able to use that printer. In my experience you normally require this step and it won't do the magic otherwise.

If the parallel port on the one machine is chained to both a scanner and printer and there is print monitor software running on the "server", this can cause hiccups in printer reliability. Either close the monitor application or reboot the machine with all this hardware. Power cycle the printer to ensure any stuck logic is cleared.

Comment

Good work labrador, that network (or lack of it) problem has now gone away (or was it an undocumented feature?)

Dave m

Don't make me angry...

Comment

Working...
                        X