PC World: Farewell Vista, Hello XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC World: Farewell Vista, Hello XP

Unfortunately, small time-wasting annoyances in Vista cropped up almost immediately. Auto-complete of e-mail addresses in Windows Mail works only with the 29 most recently used contacts (I have well over a thousand), and overall the program is slow. The Search Indexer had an irritating tendency to start when I watched an HD DVD, and despite the absence of multimedia files in a folder, most folders showed useless columns for Artists, Tags, and Ratings. I must have wasted an hour changing them to Size and Date Modified headings--and then the folder would sometimes magically change from detail view to icon view. To be fair, that last part is a holdover bug from XP, but all I've described was just the tip of the iceberg.

As irksome as these things were, I considered them livable. It was only when I discovered that my sound card's drivers for ASIO (a high-performance audio standard for recording musical instruments and vocals) didn't work well under Vista that the balance tipped irretrievably towards "downgrading" to XP.

The beta ASIO drivers may have been spotty, it may have been a system configuration problem, it may have been me--Vista is actually reputed to be much better for Pro audio--but I decided that it was time to revert to good old stable XP with its mature driver support.
    Incredible.

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Vista SP1 may be the last chance for Microsoft to prevent Vista from becoming the next Windows 98 Millenium Edition, some would argue it already is.

--wally.

Comment

unless MS break XP with sp3

Comment

Working...
      X