new Toy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new Toy...

I got in a HP MediaSmart Server EX470 last week. I got it to replace my old computer that was running the beta of Windows Home Server and finally retired my G400 MAX video card for good after using it for nearly 8 years .

Anyways, Windows Home Server is awesome...for example, MS just added DIVX support for the Xbox360 and WHS works natively with the X360 and I can now stream all my videos from the server to my big screen TV over my wireless connection.

The biggest issue I have with WHS is that there isn't a 64-bit connector for it yet, and I'm running Vista 64Bit on my main machine. The only drawback is that its not backing up my files on server, but I'm using MS One Care, and I just have that pointed to the server to do backups till they sort this issue out. Otherwise I just use the remote desktop to do any administrative work on the server.

I already had to reinstall WHS on the Server (my fault, had my beta WHS and the HP server with the same computer name, when I had to still recover the data off the Beta box!) and you use a remote machine to do so over a wired network connection, since the MediaSmart Server doesn't have any CDROM drives.

It ran me about $550 bucks from buy.com, and part of the reason I went with getting a prebuild system instead of using my old computer was that OEM WHS retails for about $180 bucks alone and the old system was noisy and had a 450W PS in it, so I'm looking to save some $$$ when it comes to the electric bill

Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Looking good !

I'm not so sure you'd save on the leccy bill tho...just because you PSU is capable of 450W doesn't mean it pulls 450W all the time...

I'd be very interested to know what sort of hardware there is in this box, as it was delivered ? Video, mobo, cpu etc...ram

Like the sleek black look tho

edit : if there are no cd rom drives, what are the 4 bay like looking things on the front ? HDD cages ?
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

General Features

Processor AMD 1.8GHz 64-bit Sempron processor

Memory 512MB DDR DRAM

Network support 10/100/1000 (Gigabit) RJ-45 Ethernet

Interfaces 4 USB 2.0 ports 1 eSATA port

Internal hard drives 1 SATA 7200 rpm, 500GB

Power Internal Universal Power Supply

Maximum storage capacity Includes 500GB hard drive and 3 empty bays for expansion

Expansion 3 empty hard drive bays

Operating system Windows Home Server

Dimensions 15.75" (W) x 9.8" (H) x 14.72" (D)
      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

from http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30135/75/

At a Glance
        Product HP MediaSmart Server (EX470 / EX475)
        Summary Server appliance running Windows Home Server aimed at non-networking savvy consumers.

Pros
        • High performance
        • Flexible storage expansion
        • Selective folder backup
        • Tight integration into Windows

Cons
        • Tight integration into Windows
        • No Print server
        • 10 User limit
        • No server backup
        • Limited control of client backup

Comment

Originally posted by Evildead666 View Post
          Looking good !

I'm not so sure you'd save on the leccy bill tho...just because you PSU is capable of 450W doesn't mean it pulls 450W all the time...
          The HP Box only pulls the following:

1-Disk
          Idle: 46w
          CPU Loaded: 65w

2-Disk
          Idle: 54w
          CPU Loaded: 73w

3-Disk
          Idle: 64w
          CPU Loaded: 82w

4-Disk
          Idle: 72w
          CPU Loaded: 92w

I'm sure that my old system was doing more then that with all the extra crap I had in it..

I'd be very interested to know what sort of hardware there is in this box, as it was delivered ? Video, mobo, cpu etc...ram
          • AMD 1.8 GHZ 64-bit Sempron processor
          • 512MB DDR2 RAM
          • 10/100/1000 RJ-45 Gigabit ethernet
          • SATA 7200 RPM hard disk drives
          • Four internal hard disk drive bays
          • Black micro-tower design. Perforated steel on front and back for quiet and cool operation
          • 15.75 x 9.8 x 14.7" (40 x 25 x 37.4 cm)
          • Up to 7.5 terabytes storage (total supported capacity of all internal and external drives)
          • Access for up to 10 user accounts
          • Supports file sharing from Windows PCs, Mac and Linux based computers over a network
          • 4 USB 2.0 ports
          • 1 eSATA port
          • Internal universal power supply 100-240 VAC

Like the sleek black look tho
          Not my Photo, I'll have to take a pic of it later

edit : if there are no cd rom drives, what are the 4 bay like looking things on the front ? HDD cages ?
          Yes, you can install 2-3 (depending on the model you get) Extra internal hard Drives. I just ordered another 500GB HDD for it for $99 bucks, cheaper then getting 475 model which has 2x 500GB HDD for 1TB of data.
          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Yup, they'll shaft you on the price of THEM undoing the screws, and installing it for you..
            And that is very low power consumption...a lot less than a would have thought...

Comment

Remember its a 1.8 sempron, singe core. It's pretty much a laptop cpu. I would hope power consumption is that low.
              Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
              Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Nice
                Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

seems to be less than stellar though
                  http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=813,Western Digital,WDG1NC5000,My Book World Edition,Networked Storage

average write throughput of ~4.9MB/sec.. it would literally take days to fill this \
                  Last edited by Tjalfe; 6 December 2007, 09:24.
                  We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

A few months ago i wanted to buy the 1TB version of the mybook world edition and couldn't find one, Costco had the Mybook Pro edition that connected via firewire and USB2, bought it and love it!!

I was able to stack 9 layers of DV footage and run it in realtime on my AXIO LE system without a hitch. It also has a firewire 800 port for even double the bandwidth. I may buy a card just for that.

Now I'm looking for a PCI Firewire800 card + cable, apperantly they go for $80, not bad for 100MB/s

Cheers,
                    Elie
                    Last edited by Elie; 6 December 2007, 15:37.

Comment

Elie, have a look at this thread.

BTW, I'd get a Mac Mini
                      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                      X