Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Trek HD-DVD's - Might have to buy a player.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Trek HD-DVD's - Might have to buy a player.

Somebody stop me but I'm actually seriously considering buying a HD-DVD player for the sole purpose of watching the new Star Trek HD-DVD transfers. I grew up on classic Star Trek reruns in the '70's. I am a big science fiction buff and in my opinion those old episodes are the flat out best examples of science fiction to be found anywhere. It goes to show that science fiction can be used as a story telling tool without a big budget and digital effects.

The writing was fantastic, the plots great, the casting of course extraordinary. Will there ever be a science fiction dynamic as good as Kirk, Spock, and McCoy? I doubt it. Leonard Nimoy created the idea of an alien that actually is deeper than "I will destroy you." Jeez the sets were great. The ideas amazing. The lighting. And they did it all on less than 200k per episode. I am so happy that they were shot on 35mm film so we can see them restored and transferred to a high definition format.

Anyway I was looking around on Amazon last night and they have some short videos on the creation of the HD discs. It looks like they have done a fantastic job on the transfers.

I am a little worried about the fact that they have replaced a lot of outside the ship spaceship shots with digital work. I'm sure they look great but I just can't shake the feeling the episodes are going to lose more than they'll gain. I hope they have the option to watch either the old verions or the new on the discs. They also re-recorded the orginal score. Again I don't know if that was necessary. I think they should have just found the original master tapes and remixed and remastered them.

So what do you think? Is anyone else tempted to buy a HD-DVD player because of these classic Trek transfers?
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

I hardly ever watch the Star Trek DVDs I have now. I've caught a few episodes of the remastered Trek and the digital effects are good. Not overdone or distracting. But I'm not in the least bit inclined to buy Star Trek on HD-DVD or get a HD-DVD player right now.

Kevin

Comment

I don't watch them as much as "study" them at this point.
      I'm actually watching "Balance of Terror" right now. One of my all time faves.

Yes. There is something wrong with me.
      - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Here's a review of it.

'High-Def Digest is your ultimate source for everything 4K, Ultra HD, Blu-ray Disc, Streaming, and Home Theater products. News and in-depth reviews published daily!'
        paulw

Comment

"Balance of Terror" is great; a space version of 1957's "The Enemy Bewlow" (Robert Mitchum, Curd Jürgens, David Hedison (Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea) & Theodore Bikel), one of my all time favorite flicks.

That they've been remastered with updated effects is, as Spock said during The Battle of the Mutara Nebula, sauce for the goose.
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 4 December 2007, 05:43.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

The battle of wits between the two flagship Captains is really interesting. Kirk actually has a moment of doubt in himself in his quarters. The ONLY time that happens in Star Trek unless he's under some influence. Spock is the subject of prejudice. There was to be a wedding and the groom is killed in the battle. The subplots in this one speak volumes of prejudice, war, and trusting yourself.

The biggest oversight in this one in my opinion is Kirk continues to "fire phasers" but we see photon torpedos eminating from the ship.
            - Mark

Comment

Found this page on Wiki among links...new effects don't seem out of place

(hm, I might actually watch TOS some day )

Comment

I've watched several of the re-mastered episodes and the effects have been spot-on and very high quality. As Picard would say; "nicely done!"
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I liked that episode with William Windom... The Doomsday Machine.

Windom did a good job portraying the mentally-exhausted Starship commander... unshaven... glass-eyed.

That's how I felt after using Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 11 after a few months.

"They say there's no Devil, Jim."

"But I saw it."

"Right out of Hell... er... Pinnacle Systems."

Jerry Jones
                  I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

the remastered Doomsday Machine is especially good. I also liked the battle with the Orion raider in Journey To Babel.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by KRSESQ View Post
                      the remastered Doomsday Machine is especially good.
                      Kevin
                      I thought so too. The new dog fights are so much better than the originals. Watching the Enterprise making a strafing run across the doomsday was
                      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Okay you guys posted some great quotes so I have to post one of my favorites.

From "The Ultimate Computer"

Spock to McCoy near the end of the episode. If I remember correctly in the turbolift so when the doors open Spock gets to walk away from a stunned McCoy.

"It would be most interesting, Doctor, to impress your engrams on a computer. The resulting torrential flow of illogic would be most amusing"
                        - Mark

Comment

Working...
                        X