Olpc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olpc

Well we have talked about it before the XO from One Laptop Per Child.
    The first mass produced lappy's have just been delivered.

Now while I have no interest personally in the unit, those of you who wish to play with one, try the link below. Give one, get one.

Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Maybe when my kids are older. It's a fantastic program though. I hope it works.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I did the G1G1 program fairly early, so hopefully I'll get mine soon.
      Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
      Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Too bad it's rather hard to get one here and...they missed the ball IMHO in not offering it for normal price, without "giving" one.

Yes, it's a great thing...but I think sales would be much more than 2x higher if sold for 200$ = lowering manufacture cost, creating bigger software ecosystem.

And it's hard to justify getting XO for 500/600$ (it would end up something like this) when there are "normal" laptops for the same price here already (however different they would be)

I guess they try to pursue their image a bit too hard...

Comment

They can not sell the XO as a commercial unit, olpc is a registered charity, and most of the parts in it are sold to olpc at just above cost, if not at cost, because of what it is, and what its for.
          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere View Post
            Yes, it's a great thing...but I think sales would be much more than 2x higher if sold for 200$ = lowering manufacture cost, creating bigger software ecosystem.
            As Sasq said, they are a non-profit organization, so at regular price, they don't make any money, which means even if they doubled sales, they would only make twice as much (none again).

Also, the OLPC's prices are already calculated with high volume (millions of units) in mind, they wouldn't go down from a few ten thousand sales anyway, and those sales would not help get any OLPCs to the children they're for.
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

But that's not what I said...I believe they would have much more than twice as many orders. OK, az says that wouldn't mean anything...why? They have to end up even, so components price is important. And even if that wasn't the case...much larger number of XOs sold would send a very good message...

BTW, jump to 188$ coincided, among other things, with much lower than expectet initiall orders from countries... (ATM it even seems current G1G1 might outsold them substantially...)

Comment

Basically you're buying one of these laptops for $399, with the proviso that it will be given away. That's your donation. The one you get from the organization is a "Thank You" gift with a fixed market value - $199, the cost of production.

That's pretty much how Public TV pledge drives work.

Wonder how long before these things start turning up on eBay?

Kevin

Comment

Laptops are not so expensive anymore. For instance the work issued HP nx6110 I'm typing this on goes for about 350 euros on ebay. It went through quite some bumps in the past months, it works nicely. 1.5GHz Centrino Celeron, 40GB, 512MB, intel extreme graphic, OK battery life, it does everything I need to do for work. It's a nice workhorse machine. I wish it were a Thinkpad with trackpoint, that's my only complaint.

Used business class laptops don't cost much and they last 5+ years if you treat them nice. I gave PIII 800 Thinkpad A21p to mom for surfing and office, it's more than 5 years old and you can surf, watch DVDs, DIVX movies and even play UT99 adequately on it.

Comment

Working...
                  X