DO NOT BUY THE FIC SD-!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DO NOT BUY THE FIC SD-!!

They totally suck and are unstable! Tested with 10 new K7 500's and my verified 650. It will spontaneously reboot (even sitting idle) at 500, problem is worse the higher you go! Errrr
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

plus if you need more than one com port your up the creek with this board witch is the main reason i did not get one. ext modem and a com port interface on my j stick. so i need 2

------------------
    ok ive gone and done it, again. its that time of year again. system upgrade time. my new system arives on nov 10 consisting of amd k7 500 (soon to be 650 at least)a ms6167 mobo, addtonics case with sp power(250), global win fkk sink,2x128 pc100 sdram, 5xdvd region free, xitel p storm sound card, 3com 10/100 pci nic, 3com v90 external modem, 10gig maxtor 7200 rpm harddrive,matrox dual head g400 vanila, 19in ctx monitor, ch throttle, ch force fx joystick, thrustmaster e rudder, thmaster supper sport wheel, usb logitech mouseman wheel, acs400 speakers, yamaha rear speakers, 3 80mm case fans (one with a custom build duck (as per intel spec(have yet to build that but i have the parts)).

second and third systems as well p2350 at 450 and k6-2 200 (utility system, burner)
    msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
    it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Greebe-
      Which ones do you suggest getting?
      Saying one sucks is of limited use

Comment

allmost any of the other boards out thire,

the sd 11 acourding to some of the reviews ive read is even more sensitive to the power supply than the other boards.
        www.atacom.com has the new k7m with out the on board audio for like 170.00 weather they are instock yet i don't know but ata rarely uses pricewatch. (dam and i just ordered my system from them for an extra 20.00 i would have goten the k7m board. oh well i really want a 2nd gen via board with agp66 any way so ill wait more the ms 6167 will do for now.

------------------
        ok ive gone and done it, again. its that time of year again. system upgrade time. my new system arives on nov 10 consisting of amd k7 500 (soon to be 650 at least)a ms6167 mobo, addtonics case with sp power(250), global win fkk sink,2x128 pc100 sdram, 5xdvd region free, xitel p storm sound card, 3com 10/100 pci nic, 3com v90 external modem, 10gig maxtor 7200 rpm harddrive,matrox dual head g400 vanila, 19in ctx monitor, ch throttle, ch force fx joystick, thrustmaster e rudder, thmaster supper sport wheel, usb logitech mouseman wheel, acs400 speakers, yamaha rear speakers, 3 80mm case fans (one with a custom build duck (as per intel spec(have yet to build that but i have the parts)).

second and third systems as well p2350 at 450 and k6-2 200 (utility system, burner)
        msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
        it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

I suspect if you changed powersupplies, its 95% likely the problems would go away...5% likely rma the board.

Your own quotes gives the clue "the higher I go, the worse it gets!"

Athlon wants more juice at higher speeds.

Comment

I have a fic sd11,Athlon 500@550 and a g400sh32.I haven't got any problems With that combo,exept some old sound drivers. BTW if you are gonna o/c the Athlon by your self,be sure to get one of the latest becourse they should all could go to 650 whitout a problem.I couldn't get higher than 550 with my early 500 (dated juli 99)

Comment

I'd get k7m...if it weren't for the fact asus is pretty much dropping them out of sight....who knows if you can get a bios update for it 6 mos from now?

:/

I'll Wait for kx133 I guess :/

No way in hell I'm going to get any POS with rambus involved but I would like to take a 100fsb coppermine and oc it.

This is one of the most ****ed up, hardest-to-buy times I've ever been through.

So many choices, so many pros and cons to each one, and so many new things 'sitting' on the horizon :/

I mean, a year ago it was clear: "OC Celeron on BX with V2 and/or TNT for HL"

A year before: "PII on LX with V1 or V2 for Q2"

2 years: "Pentium MMX with V1 for Q1"

Comment

That Asus situation is changing day-by-day. They've denied that they're stopping production, and they have a web page up for the motherboard. Check http://www.amdzone.com for a brief history.

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Greebe,

My FIC SD-11 has been up for more than 2 days now and not a single reboot. Everything is rock stable up to now. I am running the rev 1.7 with PC 133 RAM and a recommended 300W power supply.

I am happy with performance and stability up to now.

Z

Comment

After going thru 2 FIc's and one Gigabyte, I have come to the conclusion that its bad or older revisions of the mobos...I got my second SD-11 last friday, after trying the Gigabyte, after trying a SD-11...I believe that the SD-11 was one of the first revs, because not only was it having probs with my HSDRAM PC133, but had the continual reboot during 98 install, especially during hardware detect...
                    I got the 1.8 rev SD-11 last friday, and it has worked just fine, so far...I have the Sparkle Power 350W APPROVED PW(who would have THUNK that there was that much difference btwn 300W power supplys...tried the two I have, plus 2 250Watters, just fo fun..but NO LUCK...had to be an approved ONe...go figua)...
                    Anyway, if you get the SD-11 rev 1.8 you will probably be ok...
                    Also, in my opinion, and from what I have read, there are alot of BAD mobos out there...from all five vendorz...due to theie rushing them thru production to get them out...
                    Kelin

Comment

OK, only buy the MSI 6167. I've tested the SD-!! (Ack), the K7M (not bad but had the worst arrangement for applying ANY decient HS/Fan combo + had a unflashable BIOS) and the MSI mb.
                      The MSI simply doesn't have any of the others problems and simply works best!

P.S. I'm now over 1 gigaflops and 2446 mips
                      now running an Athlon 500 OC'd to 800 with one of my Eclipse mods! and yes they're for sale!
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Greebe
                        Thanks for the info.
                        Keep up the good work.
                        Now know which direction to go.

Comment

FIC has verified that there is a spontaneous restarting problem with a batch of boards they sent out. They are replacing those if you contact them.

Comment

Working...
                          X