Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boise-Based Micron To Produce Solid State Drives!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boise-Based Micron To Produce Solid State Drives!

Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.

From my home city:

Price drops ahead for solid-state drives

Posted by Michael Kanellos

Solid-state drives are still going to be somewhat hard to find in 2008, but the industry might get close to the magic price point in 2009 or 2010.

Micron Technology, the Boise, Idaho-based maker of DRAM and flash memory, on Wednesday unveiled its plans to come out with solid-state drives. The drives function like regular hard drives, but instead of storing data on spinning disks, the data gets stored on NAND memory chips--the kind found in cameras and MP3 players.

Micron will start mass-producing solid-state drives in the first quarter of 2008. The first drives will hold either 32GB or 64GB of memory. While that's less than half the capacity of the average notebook drive today, it's actually more storage than most business users need, said Dean Klein, vice president of memory system development at Micron. Plus, solid-state notebooks can come out of a deep sleep or launch applications far more rapidly.
    Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

About time.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

We've been waiting for affordable and fast solid state drives and it always seems like we're almost there. I don't like the fact that they aren't giving data transfer rates for these new drives. That makes me think they aren't competitive with other solid state drives.

The fact that these drives are on the horizon is good because it keeps the traditional drive makers looking over their shoulder. I bet when these drives are priced competitively with traditional drives and the performance is better than traditional drives we start to see a lot of great priced 10k rpm drives!
      - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Working...
      X