Mounting Alpha P3-125 on ABIT B6-2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting Alpha P3-125 on ABIT B6-2?

How has anyone mounted a PIII + Alpha P3-125 heatsink on an ABIT BX6-2 MB? I ended up removing a lot of plastic from the standard cpu mounts and holding the cpu/heatsink assembly in the processor slot with rubber bands. The P3-125 comes with adjustable mounting points, but they will not work with the mounts I have. Are there taller mounts that come with the BX6-2? The ones I have are about one inch tall with three slots and four vertical guides.

What am I missing here?

Although I hate jury-rigged setups, it seems to be stable.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 05 November 1999).]

Hi Brian,

I mounted my ALPHA P3-125 in both Bx6 r2 and now in my BE6. Both motherboards came with mounts that are as tall as the P3 cartridge. I also have an old bracket from a CoolMaster P3 heatsink/fan that fits over the top of the P3's plastic cover to secure the ALPHA/Processor in place.

It sounds like you are missing some parts.

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

ALBPM - Do the mounts included with the BX6-2 attach correctly to the P3-125 Alpha? or do you still need to jury-rig with those standard tall mounts?

Comment

Hi Brian,

It will hold the P3/ALPHA fairly well, unless you move your system around a lot.

It sounds like you are missing the top portion of your brackets which are folded in the down postion in the package. Are your brackets as tall as the P3????

Paul
        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Oh Heck!! Pictures are better than words in this case.
          Do you have this top portion??

This kinda shows how it fits (top view)

Paul

Comment

No, I don't have the mounts you show. My mounts are only about an inch tall or maybe 1.5 inches. I probably lost them at some point. Any idea how I may get another pair? (BTW, thanks for the photos)

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 06 November 1999).]

Comment

You might be able to find them at one of your local computer stores. I know I've seen them at shops around here.

Paul

Comment

ALBPM - I contacted ABIT USA and they sent me the brackets in your photos. The ones you have are not supplied with the current BX6-2. They only supply the short ones anymore. The ones you have are supposed to be only for PII and Celeron. (According to the tech rep from ABIT). Actually, they appear to be fine for the PIII also, but it's possible they were discontinued before the PIII was introduced.

Thanks again for the pics. They even sent me an extra bracket that is a one-piece setup across the entire width of the cpu Slot. It looks to be very strong. I might try it first.

By the way, where did you get the fan covers for the P3-125?

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 13 November 1999).]

Comment

Hi Brian,

I got my entire ALPHA setup from 2Cooltek.
                  www.2cooltek.com/index.html

He's got all kinds of cooling supplies.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                  X