Reformat and BIOS Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reformat and BIOS Upgrade

I have a Dell XPS-D266. Now hold the flames, I got it as my first PC and yes I'd build my own next time...

anyway, back to the plot. I'm gonna slip in a Powerleap slocket and a Celery500 soonish, but first I have to master the dark art of the BIOS upgrade. I will flash an Intel BIOS over the AL440LX mobo (again, stop laughing).

I will soon be needed a reinstall of Win95b and will take the opportunity to reformatting to FAT32, hence a clean sweep.

Should I flash the BIOS, reset my BIOS settings (flashing the Intel over the Dell BIOS will kill them) and then reformat the whole drive (currently c/d/e partitions) and reinstall windoze...

or, reformat, install W95, flash..?

I know this may be best asked in an Intel/Dell forum but ths place is where the brains are at and I foolishly trust you lot more :-)

Jonesy
    just waiting for that lottery win and then it's Athlon and G400 time...
    PII-266, G200, 128mb, AL440LX Mobo, Win95b - man that's looking tired.

Hi Jonesy,

I flashed my wife's Dell system with the Intel Bios a couple months ago to give it support for P3s. You need to follow the instructions for the Bios Recovery to force flash your Dell with the Intel Bios. This will also involve setting the jumper to recovery mode on your mother board. Here's the links for the AL440LX mother board.
    www.intel.com/design/motherbd/genbios.htm
    www.intel.com/design/motherbd/al/al_confg.htm

I would go ahead and force flash the Intel bios before reinstalling Windows.

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Heheh, I got a little carried away with the Jumper config for your board. You do not need to do anything with the jumpers on the AL440LX board. Just make the required Bootable Recovery disk with the new Intel Bios files and follow the Recovery procedures.

Paul
      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

ALBPM

good to see you still in here (I was a regla when the G200 first hit the shelves and you've helped me b4).

Are you sure I don't need to recovery flash with the jumper settings?

I'm going from a Dell to an Intel BIOS, and I was sure the Intel would choke when it saw the Dell specific BIOS?!

Jonesy

Comment

Your correct, I read that wrong. You would pull the jumper off completely for the recovery setting. Then follow the recovery flash instructions.

My wife's system actually boots up faster with the Intel Bios. It used to hang every 4-5 times when turning the system on using the Dell Bios.

Paul

Comment

Working...
          X