X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 best fictional weapons

See how many you can recognize

I recognized a lot.
    which is one more reason, why my family still thinks of the day I lost my virginity as "that wonderful miraculous day"
    Originally posted by Gurm
    .. some very fair skinned women just have a nasty brown crack no matter what...

40+. Some of the comic book ones I didn't know, but all the game or movie ones I did. Though I wouldn't have put Green Latern's ring as #1. Top 5 for sure, but not #1. I'm suprised the Infinity Gauntlent didn't make it on the list.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I'm pleased to say that the answer is very round.

Zero!

OK, to be fair, I've heard of lightsabres and have seen pictures of them, but I have never seen any part of Star Wars so wouldn't know anything about them. Science fiction really does leave me freezing cold, whether it be in printed or visual form. There's more than enough fiction, masquerading as science, in the media, including many of the popular so-called scientific magazines.
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

So Brian...what about spamming you with a list of Sci-Fi movies that are actually good? ;P

Or even TV-series...Battlestar Gallactica (the new one) would probably lead this pack (Newtonian physics of spaceflight, ordinary projectile weapons and nukes! )

Comment

hmm...21 here, not so bad

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
              I'm pleased to say that the answer is very round.

Zero!

OK, to be fair, I've heard of lightsabres and have seen pictures of them, but I have never seen any part of Star Wars so wouldn't know anything about them. Science fiction really does leave me freezing cold, whether it be in printed or visual form. There's more than enough fiction, masquerading as science, in the media, including many of the popular so-called scientific magazines.

Are you telling me you didn't recognize Excalibur in that list? There is sci-fi/fantasy and there is just being part of the human race, or is this one of those things that if you aren't in a culture that has roots in Anglo-saxon it's not told as a story since your .5 years?

Oh and I probably knew about 40 of the list
              Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

A mere 12 here. Wouldn't neccessarily have been able to name them all blind though.
                FT.

Comment

40 here.

Brian; you didn't know Mjolnir (Thors hammer) or Excalibur (King Arthurs sword)? Didn't you guys study mythology at all?

Jezzz.....we were officially exposed them in the 3rd grade, but most of us had read about them in our early readers.
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

my four year olds know a few of those weapons hehe

I recognized many, I will provide a count shortly.

Comment

Discounting the ones I've only heard or seen passing references to without knowing the context: 25. Otherwise 30.

Another one I like that you don't hear about much is the Glaive from the movie Krull. I guess Krull just wasn't a big enough movie for inclusion.

Kevin
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by KRSESQ; 27 November 2007, 13:51.

Comment

13 here also.
                        Chuck
                        秋音的爸爸

Comment

OOOPS! Sorry, I did miss out on Excalibur! Yes, of course, I do know about that one. As for Thor's hammer, it's a vague memory, but certainly not its name; we never did much on Norse mythology, other than the origin of the names of the days of the week.

Does this count?

The thunder god went for a ride
                          Upon his favourite filly.
                          "I'm Thor!" he cried.
                          The horse replied, "Forgot your thaddle, thilly!"
                          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 28 November 2007, 02:34.
                            Dr. Mordrid
                            ----------------------------
                            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

You forgot about one

(yes Gurm, I know that's not the actual hammer)

Comment

Working...
                              X