Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for Win NT server ver 4.0

here we go guys ..
    i'm about to install Win NT server 4.0 on a dual boot machine .. Win98 and linux RedHat 6.0

1. In the readme file of service pack it says that i should reinstall the SP each time I
    install a new software or hardware in. is that right ?

what if I just update the driver for vga (Matrox G200) or sound (SB16 PnP) ?
    2. I have a GigaByte 6BXE mobo .. and it comes with triones bus master drivers for several
    OS including NT .. should i install those drivers ? or install the intel ones available
    from Intel site ? or should stick with the built BM drivers that comes with SP 3 ?
    or totally forget about BM and NT ? the triones drivers proved to be working very good with
    Win95 OSR2 .. and I installed NT before and I noticed that IDE performance was very poor
    under NT ..

3. Are the Service Packs cumulative ? i.e. should i install SP3 first then SP4 then SP5 and
    so one ? or just install the latest one ? which SP6 or SP5 if i can't get SP6 ?

4. Is there a recommended order for installing drivers ( VGA, audio and modem ) and programs
    and Service Packs ?

Any advice is appreciated.
    thanx

sorry for my poor english

------------------
    Giga Byte 6BXE, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram
    G200 8M SD, driver 5.25, Bios 1.6

GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

1. Usually MS recommends that you reinstall a service pack if you use the original WinNT CD to install software or hardware. If you install hardware using it's own drivers, you usually wouldn't have to reinstall the SP. But if you start having problems, it is usually a good idea to try that first.

2. Don't know.

3. You only need to install the latest service pack. It contains all the fixes in any previous ones.

4. I prefer to install NT, install hardware/drivers and get those working, then install any SPs. The problem is that many drivers (and software), require at least SP 3 to install (like AGP boards), so it is hard to say. You could install NT, install SP, install hardware/software, then reinstall the SP as the last thing.

Hope this helps

Chuck
    P4 2.53GHz, Intel D845PEBT2, 1GB Ram, G400 Max, Adaptec 19160 running, 2 Maxtor 18GB 10KRPM HD, Toshiba 40/10 SCSI DVD-Rom, Plextor 32/12/10 SCSI CD-RW, Seagate 80GB Barracuda IV, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, Viewsonic G790 19" Monitor

Comment

Do not install the Triones drivers. They are the old Highpoint (used to be Triones) drivers, that are no longer supported...

Guyv
      Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
      - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
      - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
      - 6.1 Digital Audio
      - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
      - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
      - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
      - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
      - LS120 IDE Floppy
      - Zip 100 IDE
      - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
      - NEC FE950
      - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

I only know the answer to 4.

You don't need to install SP1 through 5, before installing SP6. SP6 runtime doesn't need any previous SPs.

This took a bit of searching, but okay
        You can download SP6 here

Do know it's between 34.5Mb and a massive 72Mb ...

Jorden.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

thanx for the fast reply guys ..
          i'll keep u informed with any new findings.

------------------

Comment

another question .. what do u guys use for antivirus programs under NT ?
            Jorden my problem with MS download is that i'm a dial-up user with 33.6 modem .. this could take from 4-5 hours to finish and i might get diconnected from ISP for any reason
            what i'm looking for is to find an ftp site that supports resume coz MS doesn't support it.

------------------

Comment

Working...
            X