udma hd tweak.... but it sounds odd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• udma hd tweak.... but it sounds odd

i found this http://www.wickedpc.com/faqs/harddrivetweaking/ yesterday, and posted a question about it here, but the thread seems to have disappeared. i was hoping someone who knows enough about these kinds of things could put in their 2¢ in about wether this advise makes sense or not.

thx eh
    8¬)

------------------
    p2 266@300 (4x75mhz) | qdi legend-v, lx chipset, bios 2.0sl | 96 mb pc100 | mill g200agp@99mhz 8mb sg, bios 2.6, pd 5.3 | win 98se

[This message has been edited by scotty (edited 11 November 1999).]
    p2 266@300 (4x75mhz) | qdi legend-v, lx chipset, bios 2.0sl | 96 mb pc100 | mill g200agp@99mhz 8mb sg, bios 2.6, pd 5.52 | win 98se

Scotty,
    1. Your computer does not support UDMA66 directly. Some newer motherboards do support it, but that article is from May and it was correct then. If you want 66, you need to get a controller card and, of course, a UDMA66 drive. If not, then his advice to disable it and make the drive operate in UDMA33 mode is OK.
    2. I don't understand his advice to disable IDE busmastering. I wouldn't do this except as a last resort if you have problems.
    3. Try various set ups with the drive and your CD\DVD on the same cable (with CD\DVD as slave) and with each on different cables. Mine runs fastest with both on one cable. I've got a VIA chipset and Intel might be different. Get a demo copy of HD Tach to benchmark it to see which is fastest.
    4. The rest looks OK. Its OK to set up your drive a a network server.
    5. Read the UDMA 66 thread below for more ideas.

RAB

[This message has been edited by RAB (edited 12 November 1999).]
    AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Ho hum, I have seen all of those tricks before. Changing the hard drives to DMA mode will give the biggest performance boost. The other stuff just helps prevent hard disk thrashing while you are playing gmaes and stuff. They work quite well, but the best way to prevent hard disk thrashing is getting 256 MB RAM into your system. There are only a select few apps and games that can suck up more than 256 MB RAM.

Jammrock
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
      X