I #¤%&@£$ HATE Windows!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I #¤%&@£$ HATE Windows!

When I woke up this morning my gigabit card had decided to turn itself into a megabit card.

throughput was down to 20kb, browsing just hung, vnc to my other local computer bombed after a few seconds.

Rebooted - nada...

Activated the other onboard nic in bios and tried with that instead, no go, different HW same shit!.

Exchaings the Switch - nada...

reboots the smoothwall, hey now vnc works -smothie beeps- vnc instantly bombs out.

ARGHHHHH!

I get to work, coworker points out that my conection screwed up at the same exact time I got a phone call through the voip box that is also plugged into the switch - coincident? uhm, don't think so!!

in sometime before lunch I pass by my apartment while going to an external location, and I sneak in and pulls the voip out.

No diff

after lunch I by mistake finds out that my server IS up (typed wrong port number in vnc) and works 100%, browsing, vnc, everything works. vnc,ing my box from the server works when its configured for max compress black and white etc (remember nothing over 20kb)

Forcing the nic to 10mb half duplex seems to make VNC stable enough to use directly (not through the server).

I suddenly remember that I am running my smoothwall on a flashdrive.....

and that it all resembles what happened with a plastic router that had "cheap bursted caps" disease.

I give up on the matter and decide to build a new smoothie.

Much later I get home, I put back the cable in the original nic and starts to compare settings against the server (same nic, chipset, mobo shipset etc etc, yeah the AMD fan boy has gone to the darkside and has only core2 based computers ) and I realize that that the server can talk to the UPnP server in the smoothie.

While hunting for the that setting windows suddenly pops up a box asking me to allow it to start the ICS/windows firewall service, fine I'll do It I think and presses the button.

-WOOONK- (skype loggs on)

Suddenly I have connection......

Everything suddenly works at full speed

Now if it was the firewall service, why today?!?

It's been disabled since I last reinstalled 7 months ago

I #¤%&@£$ HATE Windows!
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Just wait until you get to Vista. It has 3 firewall policies, all of which have to be disabled to completely get it off, and it's hidden deep in the system. And networking on Vista blows chewy chunks even when it is working.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Probably Windows Update asserting itself. After all they know what's best.

Comment

Running a couple of simple TCPView sessions would have likely isolated your problem much faster, but I understand your frustration.

If you want to know if your firewall service is running (and for how long) just check the event viewer: it will tell you which services have started and when.
        Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Well, in this case I had since the installation had the firewall service purposely shut down and disabled!

Event viewer don't show anything from the time in question

High_Jumbllama has a point, but I also have automatic "fsck your computer" disabled, and I manually ran windows update more than a month ago, so why wait until yesterday to kill itself?!?

I also noticed that suddenly Windows networking works again, that had stopped working some weeks ago

If I want to disable the firewall and shutdown its service I should be allowed to do that without loosing my ability to use my NIC

and the firewall service IS disabled on the server

Consistent behavior?.. no freaking way!!
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
            High_Jumbllama has a point, but I also have automatic "fsck your computer" disabled,
            iirc, there have been some problems lately with that setting. as in updates being installed even when the automatic was turned off.

mfg
            wulfman
            "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
            "Lobsters?"
            "Really? I didn't know they did that."
            "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
              I suddenly remember that I am running my smoothwall on a flashdrive.....
              Out of curiosity, how do you manage this? I had never heard of smoothwall before you mentioned it, but when I looked it up it seemed like a Linux app or setup of some type, so I am curious what sort of setup you have.

Jammrock
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I did something simliar by just using these things: cf-ata-adapter
                but if you have a bootable thumbdrive, you can just install anything on it, no?

mfg
                wulfman
                "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                "Lobsters?"
                "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

There is a fellow who created a Perl Script for Smoothwall 3.0 which makes some changes to the smoothie which will allow Smoothwall to run from a Compact Flash Adapter without risk to the CF media: your RAM requirements jump considerably using this Mod: rule of thumb is at least 512MB of RAM (the script creates a RAMDisk, and writes it's logs to the RAM drive, then uses a cron job to append the logs perodically to the permanent logs on the CF Adapter. It's a pretty slick setup) or up to 1GB of RAM if you run Snort and the Proxy server.

Also, if you are going to run the Smoothwall Proxy, you'll need a fast DMA CF card or risk bogging down the box. This isn't much of an issue when running only one or two users, but if you go much past 4 concurrent users, you can see a marked slowdown during heavy web surfing.
                  Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Actually I run a older cf mod for SWE2 that i had to slightly mod to get it to work.

The script for SWE3 is interesting but all the higher reqs puts me of

Comment

Working...
                    X