Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS3 question

Hello,

Looking at my brother squeezebox-configuration got me thinking...

If one were to set up a PS3, it is apparently possible to stream media (mp3/photo/video) from a uPNP media server (right?). For video and photo, it is obvious that the connected tv is used as display, however, for listening to music this is somewhat overkill.
    Would a digital photoframe (with video input) be suitable to act as a display (dunno what info is shown if the PS3 is streaming music, but I gather it to be title, artist, time, album...)?

Just thinking of at options....
    (living room config could then be "limited" to: tv, amplifier, PS3, photoframe)

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

I haven't seen photoframes with external video inputs, but I have seen them on the slave displays for portable dvd-players. This sounds like an interesting idea that could be useful for me too.

Thank you for allowing me this opportunity without actually whoring.
    FT.

Comment

Well, I have seen photoframes with video inputs, just do a search on Amazon. But they are usually from less known manufacturers (not Philips or Samsung). The reason I mentioned photo frames is that they often are better looking than portable displays...

Some questions remain: Can one connect both at the same time (I think so)? And does it show the track information on the full display, or too small to be useful (I would guess it is skinnable)?

Jörg

edit: Oh, Congrats on the 6000 post! Now go start a thread in the Lounge to celebrate!
      pixar

Comment

I don't know about the PS3, but I have used my MacBook's Front Row to listen to music, and I have to say, compared to the Squeezebox, it sucks. Navigation on the Squeezebox is tons better (you can't, for instance, change your playlist - add songs, etc. - while playing in Front Row. This is especially bad for me, as I like to shuffle, then insert a title or two that just came to my mind and continue the shuffle thereafter. With the SB, that's a snap, with Front Row, it's not possible automatically).

You would also not save very much money if you had tu buy a photo frame, the PS3 very likely draws quite a bit more power than the SB, is it quiet? How is its audio quality? And why not just use a SB?
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Photoframes are cheaper than Squeezeboxes, but more to the point it would result in a device less to have to control via remote / configure via network / ... Also, if you connect the PS3 digitally to an amplifier, I would guess that sound quality ought to be comparable. And it might be fun if it could show album art on the photo frame.....

Dunno about the power draw, nor the noise level.... But as said: just going over at the options...

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Working...
          X