New Sony hi-end cams do 1080p

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Sony hi-end cams do 1080p

$6850 is a lot but at least it does 1080p and 720p.

Hopefully these new sensors will drift down to the lower priced models and we'll start seeing cameras that natively do progressive video at affordable prices.
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Nice but not exactly in the home video market.. But I guess that will happen one day..
    paulw

Comment

It that 1080p @ 60fps?

Comment

Originally posted by Fluff View Post
        It that 1080p @ 60fps?
        Nope.

The camcorders offer 1080, 24p and 30p native progressive recording.
        There is no ATSC 1080/60p format.

Way too data intensive.

If you want 60p, you have to go with 1280 x 720 (720p).

Jerry Jones
        I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

Part of the reason we're seeing so many 1080i consumer camcorders is because it has proven difficult to create a affordable 1080p sensor. It's good news that they're even doing it under 10k at this point because that means the price points should start to come down.

I'd still like to have a camcorder that can do 720/60p and make EACH PIXEL COUNT! I am a big fan of the now defunct "Farscape" series and the quality of that SD program still amazes me. It is as good as I have ever seen SD look and is better on smaller screens than many bad examples of HD I've seen.

Right now it is my opinion that HD is in it's developmental infancy. We are seeing optics, sensors, and software that is not capturing the full glory of each pixel. I could only wonder what Farscape would look like in HD if each of those HD pixels was as good at the SD ones. We will get there eventually but the market at quite a bit of inertia so it will take a while. Competition is the name of the game here. JVC will put out a good camera, then Sony will leapfrog them, then Canon them, then Panasonic, then JVC, and so on.

It's a tough time right now because all of the HD pixels aren't really counting for much of the consumer cams so in some cases you can actually get a better picture with SD cams. Especially in low light conditions.

I have yet to see a HD image on a good large screen that exhibits a very, very low degree of macroblocking, pixel flickering, and other artifacts. Well I take that back because I have seen some computer 3D generated films that look amazing. But they start out as purely digital so the conversion process leads itself to better results. Anyway I think we'll get there eventually.

These Sony cams are just a step along path.
          - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Jones View Post
            Nope.

There is no ATSC 1080/60p format.

Way too data intensive.

If you want 60p, you have to go with 1280 x 720 (720p).

Jerry Jones
            http://www.jonesgroup.net

Luckily we have HD-DVD and BLU Ray for that
            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Working...
            X