Aopen HX08 case with Athlon 700Mhz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aopen HX08 case with Athlon 700Mhz?

I have an Aopen HX08 case and I'd like to buy an Athlon 700.
    A few questions:
    Does anybody have an Athlon 700 mounted in such case? (I'm concerned about the power supply which is 300W but I don't see it in the compatibility list from AMD.)
    What motherboard did you use for it?
    Any reccomandations for a good motherboard?
    I know new MBs with the new VIA chipset should be out pretty soon, should I wait for those (with AGP4x and PC133 support)?
    How long before they are out?
    I have a G400 MAX. I read on some posts that despite what it says on the box, the G400 doesn't support AGP4x, is this true?

Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks,

Lorenzo

Good choice of case(same one I've got). However, I don't have an Athlon in it (yet anyway ). Personally I would recomend waiting for the next gen boards. The Asus K7V I think it is? It'll have the VIA KX133 chipset, which as you have pointed out has several advantages. It should also be more lenient on power supplies. The reason that problem exists is that currently, even the mobo manufacturers who are departing from AMD's reference design, are still staying close enough to the reference that power is still a problem, and the ones that aren't departing obviously have the same constraints that AMD themselves had with their Fester board.
    So anyway you probably are best off waiting for one of the new boards. One thing you missed though, the new boards will also support UDMA 66.
    If however you are determined to get an Athlon now, you can go over to www.slota.com and take a look at the complete list of Athlon mobo's.

good luck
    HedsSpaz
    Primary System:
    MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
    120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
    Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
    Seccondary System:
    Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
    3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
    Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
    Tertiary system
    Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
    Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

(I'm using SCSI so I'm not too interested in UDMA66)
      I actually have ordered an Athlon but I don't have it yet.
      BTW I can't really recommend this as I didn't receive the CPU yet but I have ordered an Athlon 600->700 from http://www.step-thermodynamics.com.
      They have a limited quantity of CPUs on offer at ~500$ including their proprietary cooling system and shipping costs.
      I ordered it online on Monday and I received a mail saying it should be ready in two to three weeks.
      We'll see what happens...

Lorenzo

Comment

Thanks, guys, I have an HX08 case too, and am also waiting for the new mobos before upgrading (all right, I'm also waiting for the money to pile up, but it works out well this way... I hope ), so I appreciate the info. I was concerned about the power supply as well, especially since if I shut down the PC, I have to press the power button repeatedly for about 5 minutes before it will "catch" and actually remain on to boot... so naturally, I just never shut down... anyway, do you find that to be an issue you have too? Or should I just replace the power supply?

-----------------------------
        Holly
        Holly

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open ended program of procreative racial deconstruction."
        -Jay Bulworth

Comment

Sorry, I can't comment on your issue as I have just bought the HX08 case and I'll use it with the Athlon system as soon as I get the pieces together...
          No experiences to share so far.

Lorenzo

Comment

My big thing is that I'm waiting to see how much money I'll have left after I pay my tuition for the next 2 terms. So I probably won't actually be upgrading until next february or so( besides which, I have an incredible craving for power, I want one of those 1ghz athlons). I'm also waiting for the new technology to mature a some.

I don't know about the power supply though Holly, mine works fine, the only power problems I have stem from Win98se's poor power handling that doesn't seem to have gone away even with the patch. I don't know about getting a new one, I can't really offer much of an opinion there, I just don't have any experience with bad power supplies, or for that matter, inadequate supplies. I plan on getting a 350w when I upgrade mostly for sole reason of, "because I can".

HedsSpaz

------------------
            "I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure." --Me
            Primary System:
            MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
            120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
            Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
            Seccondary System:
            Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
            3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
            Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
            Tertiary system
            Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
            Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

I have got a hx08,fic sd11 and 550 Athlon for about 6 weeks.No problems exept for the old sb live drivers (2,0)

Comment

Great to know, thanks MDJ!

Anybody know more about the AGP 4x issue? Does the G400 support it or not?

Lorenzo

Comment

G400 is AGP4X compatible (will work in a 4X slot), but not 4X capeable (will not do 4X transphers).

Mark F.

------------------
                  OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                  --------------------------------------------------
                  OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                  and burped out a movie

Comment

Working...
                  X