X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BitMicro: 1.6 TB Fiber SSD's coming

BitMicro pumps solid state drives to 1.6TB
    Altima 4Gb/s FC SSD not for storage toddlers

Storage vendors have been sieging the large business market with solid state drive offerings for years — but cost and capacity restrictions have mostly kept them at the gate. Only recently has the technology advanced enough to to make SSD gear a plausible replacement for traditional disk storage.

Take BitMicro for instance, which this week unveiled a flash memory-based solid state drive with up to 1.6TB capacity. The company's E-Disk Altima, expected to ship in Q1 2008, will come in a 3.5-inch format and support 4Gbit/s Fibre Channel.

The new drive is designed for high-bandwidth storage applications such as streaming video on demand, medical imaging, data recording, warehousing and online transactions. BitMicro says the Altima offers sustained rates of more than 230MB/s and upwards of 55,000 I/O operations per second. To compare, a fast disk drive will get about 400 I/O operations per second.

BitMicro will push the SSDs with capacities from 16GB to 1.6TB. In addition to 4Gbit/s Fibre Channel, the disks will also be fully compatible with 1Gbit/s and 2Gbit/s Fibre Channel devices.

The firm says it will begin sampling the drives in the first quarter of 2008 and will ship in volume by Q2 08.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Sounds impressive Doc, it's every editor's dream to acquire such solution, however the only deterring factor obviously will the cost.
    If the price is reasonable, I will be the first to jump in.

Regards,
    Elie

Comment

It's a FibreChannel drive, prices won't be "reasonable", at least not for home users and semi-pros, and probably not even for most pro editors.
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I'm a fan of the Fusio-io myself. It's "only" up to 680 GB, but it's housed on a PCIe 4x card, has up to 700 MB/s transfers and 100k IOps. And you can put in four per server for a total of 2.7 TB. Of course they are $30 per GB, or $20k for the 680 GB card.

That and fibre channel is going the way of the dinosaur. iSCSI is cheaper, and with 10 Gb copper and fiber coming out and dropping in price already it will leave fibre channel in the dust.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
        X