Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• night dive...

Hello,

Just got back from a night dive (one of the dives I chose in my advanced open water). However, things didn't go as planned: we were with 3 people: an instructor and 2 students. The other student had issues with clearing her ears (she started clearing too late - but I also started clearing late) and had to cancel. after surfacing, swimming back to land and helping her out of the water, I started feeling cold (and I had minor issues with one ear)... Not that surprising, if you know that the outside temperature was around 2°C, the watertemperature was 10°C and we (apart from the instructor) were wearing 2 wetsuits (shorty 4mm +long 7mm, but both were rentals that might not have the same thickness anymore ) on top of each other.

Still, it was an experience... Downside is that I now realize that it is too cold for me to dive outside with wetsuits; guess I'll have to verify which courses I can follow that are indoors and still count for my advanced open water. I still need to do a navigation dive (must be outside), a deep dive (can be indoors: Nemo33 is a 33m deep indoor dive complex closeby), and then 2 lessons of choice (have already done Peak Performance Buoyancy). Will check with the diveclub to see what my options are (photography can be done indoors).
    Alternatively, I could do a drysuit specialty, so that I can continue my advanced open water with drysuit, but as I'm not yet planning on buying a drysuit, that might not be a real option.

(The dive computer I bought does seem to work great, interesting to see the dive profile in a graph on the watch!)

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Just went to the dive club... the dry-suit specialty is not very expensive, and can be combined with the advanced open water training. Considering th fact that I still need to complete a navigation dive, a wreck dive and a deep dive (this one can be indoors), the drysuit option would allow me to continue diving during the winter.
    Most likely, the next dive won't be next week (regular buddy is on holiday), but the week after.

Jorg
    pixar

Comment

Drysuit 4tw.

But seriously: Wetsuits can be used all year around. Only real disadvantage to a proper wetsuit, is the depth compression. For shallowish diving, its just as warm as a drysuit.

When that is said -never go below 2x 7mm - and always use a semi-dry. Dont shrink on the hood either. Hoods and handcuffs need to be considered as highly as ehm. "the groin area".

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Yes, but if you rent the wet suit, even though it started out as a 7mm, chances are it is not that thick anymore (as I'm still a novice diver, I'd like to get to get some experience with different materials prior to purchasing). I was wearing a rented shorty and a rented long john (7mm). But drysuits seem also more comfortable when having to change outside.

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

Working...
        X