Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Power supply problem!

Sorry for the length of this but..

I am almost in a panic situation. I have had my system for around 4 months but over the last couple of days it has made more noise. I had thought that this was due to the 2 extra fans I had installed. Then a couple of hours ago, my system just shut down. I could not get it working at all. Now after uninstalling all extra cards except g200 and the nic card, I have been able to get it going. With the fans removed I now notice that the power supply is making lots of noise. There is a ratling sound and a constant heavy humming. I am certain that this was not there before.

So I guess I know I need to change the power supply (quickly)

First
    How difficult is the job? I have a general knowledge and comfort level in opening my computer and tinkering, but I want to make sure not to fry anything.

Second
    What should I be looking for in a power supply? I am guessing a 300w would be needed (this machine has a 250w). What brand model would be suggested.

I don't think I will have much of a chance to look at this till I'm at work tommorow. The noise scares the hell out of me. But I will need to pick one up quickly.

Thanks in advance.

Richard

------------------
    P3-450, Abit Bx6r2, 128meg pc100, Quantum Fireball 12, Quantum Fireball 4.3, g200-8meg,
    Monster V2 16meg, SB Live value, HP CDRW 8200, Creative Labs 5xDVD, DxR3, D-link Nic,
    ADSL(e)modem, Aims VHE Tv tuner.

P3-450, Abit Bx6r2, 128meg pc100, Quantum Fireball 12, Quantum Fireball 4.3, g200-8meg,
    Monster V2 16meg, SB Live value, HP CDRW 8200, Creative Labs 5xDVD, DxR3, D-link Nic,

Sounds like the PS fan is going. These things happen. The fan is a fairly common component, 3-1/16"x3-1/16"x1", if I remember correctly. Should be about $4 for a replacement, and inside of an hour to replace, provided the person doing the work knows how to solder two wires together.
    I've replaced a few, and it's not a scary operation. Besides, if you were going to replace the PS, what's the harm in trying to just change the fan? Success will save you $$, and failure would just mean replacing the PS anyway.

-Wombat
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

onbelay,
      I can't tell you about brands & stuff.
      The physical swap is realy easy.
      The PS is held in by 4 screws at the back of your case.
      1, Disconnect power cord.
      2, Disconnect power leads inside case.
      3, Take out the 4 screws that hold in the PS.
      4, Reverse processes using new PS.

Nothing to it. It would have been harder if you had an SS7 setup because the power switch could be hard to disconnect & connect in some of them for lack of access. But, with your BX board that is not a problem.

Good Luck
      chuck

------------------
      ABit BH6 w/ Celery 333@500, 128mb gh@cas2, 10gb IBM@7200, SB Live Value@44kh, noname CDRom@40x, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Zoom@56k, Princeton EO75@1024x768x32x85hz, USB mouse,Matrox G400 MAX!!!!

Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

If you do give replacing the fan a go- be wary of the capaciters inside the PS. ouch!

chuck

Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Also, consider where you snip the wires if you replace the fan. If you cut them the right way, you'll have plenty of slack wire in the PS, and that will make the soldering very easy.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Richard:

If your only "generally" comfortable with tinkering inside the case, ignore all the soldering fan advice and spend $50 on a new power supply. It's only 4 screws like Cjolley said, and it's a very easy swap, even for a non-techie person. But DO NOT open up the power supply and try to change the fan. THAT is foolish unless you really know what your doing. You can get a nasty ZAP doing that.

------------------
            The Rock
            "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed."
            -- Albert Einstein
            Bart

Comment

Does he know if it is an AT or ATX Power Supply. If it's AT I wonder if he knows the BLACK TO BLACK rule?

TomV

Comment

If you're careful you can replace the fan. Please be cautious around the capacitors as they can give quite a zap.

If you are thinking of replacing the power supply and want the best on the market, go with PC Power & Cooling.. www.pcpowerandcooling.com

They are absolutely the best power supplies available... You also pay a premium..

I just got their new 425Watt ATX PS with full voltage regulation and a slew of other features..

The last one I bought was about 8 or more years ago, and it's still running strong. Just have to blow the dust out once and a while...

Guyv
                Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                - 6.1 Digital Audio
                - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                - LS120 IDE Floppy
                - Zip 100 IDE
                - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                - NEC FE950
                - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

TomV:

Check his system stats: P3 /w Abit mobo. I doubt there's AT plugs on that Abit board, but I could be mistaken.

The Rock
                  Bart

Comment

Onbelay, get the same supply you had. If you take it to where you got it, they should give you a new one or at least match it up.
                    You're not going to get zapped from a power supply, these people must think you are talking about a monitor with 50kvolts
                    abit kt7-raid athlon 1ghz quantum 20.4gb - 7200 + wd 200bb - 7200 rpm UDMA100-
                    g400 max-
                    256MB pc133 sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - winME
                    dx7.?- V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO
                    Kensiko (Netpointe) scrolling mouse

Comment

WOW, thanks for all the replies everyone.

Sorry it took a while to respond. I was able to read the forum from work but the firewall seemed to prevent me from replying.
                      Well I returned to the store where I bought the computer this afternoon and was able to replace the ps with one of 300w. They only charged me $18 for the upgrade. I installed it this evening and voila I am back.

Again thanks for everyones suggestions and comments. This forum is wonderful and I hope to continue to use it more often.

OnBelay

------------------

Comment

$18 for 300w (atx) ?!

I want in on that one!...oh...where you originally bought computer :/ nm.

I can get Powersupplyless SC750/7890 for ~$80, the reason for the interest

Comment

Oh yeah, you *could* get zapped by the PS if you open it up right after you unplug it. It *does* have some big caps in it. But unlike a monitor, you don't have to wait very long (drain proportional to voltage or whatever) 30 min would be the upper limit, and a impatient bastard like me would wait maybe 5. I mean, I fell back on an open phone console cabinent once before, and the 100 points on my back + power didn't hurt *that* much.

For monitors, this bastard would be waiting at least one hour...

Comment

If the power supply was *fried* just right so that one of the solder joints was not making perfect contact a cap could keep it's full charge until the first touch - then - sizzle....

I've had it happen once - just once - with a capacitor from a camera flash (300+V - not much current but it sure hurt like hell where it happened to touch... I was young (about 9 or 10 and was stripping wires with my teeth, and had forgotten to discharge the capacitor I was using to make a home-made stun-gun...) Talk about a *shocking* experience...

Guyv (who remembers to always discharge capacitors - high voltage/capacitance before working with electronics to this day)
                            Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                            - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                            - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                            - 6.1 Digital Audio
                            - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                            - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                            - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                            - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                            - LS120 IDE Floppy
                            - Zip 100 IDE
                            - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                            - NEC FE950
                            - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Hi Guyver
                              I was fixing my wife's flash onetime & it had enough juice to hit me realy hard even after I shorted it! Too strange!
                              chuck

Chuck
                              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                              X